Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 08-09-2011, 08:22 PM

Default abrams??

anyone fished abrams, starting at the campground, lately??abrams is one of those streams that seems to have fallen out of favor,it bacame my unfavorite when i slipped on slick rock and cracked my elbow,which still gives me fits...have caught several nice rainbows in abrams,and have a hankering to catch somemore..
Old 08-10-2011, 04:53 AM

Default Abrams

Good morning Larry,
I waited for awhile to see if anyone else would reply to your post and it looks like everyone is holding off so I'll tell you what I've seen and you can make a judgement from that and whatever other replies come in. This is the worst time to be fishing that creek because of high temperatures even in the best of times. The drought really did a number on Abrams a few years ago and it has never come back to it's original self. The section that runs through the picnic area is still pretty good and the short stretch of Anthony in the lower end of the Cove still fishes well if you use a lot of stealth. You will have a tough time from the Abrams Falls Trailhead on downstream at this time of the year. The fish should slowly build back in a few years but it will be slow going.
Hugh
Old 08-10-2011, 09:07 AM

I agree with Mr. Hartsell. From first hand experience I fished Abrams this spring starting about a mile down the Abrams falls trail back up to the confluence/trailhead and was shocked at the sheer number of horny heads in there. If you like catching those guys you will have a blast. I caught 4 or 5 of those for every trout I caught but the bows I did catch were large just not very plentiful. In some pools I could stand on a rock and see a hundred fish in there but they were not trout unfortunately. I slipped a lot too. I would still like to fish the big horseshoe sometime just to say I did it but I have the feeling I know what I would mostly be catching back in there. The fact that no one talks about it on here like they did 5 or so years ago does speak a lot.

http://gosmokies.knoxnews.com/profil...=2hvzainc23h5b

Hey Jack (JAB)...
Old 08-10-2011, 02:42 PM

Big trout would eat a horny head....maybe should have left the Trophy stream alone, IMO.