Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 08-10-2011, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDuncan View Post
I know what you mean when - you can't hardly hear the creek anymore for that flat stretch above both creeks, but I realized that that's just because you're being watched
I knew it!

http://gosmokies.knoxnews.com/profil...=2hvzainc23h5b

Hey Jack (JAB)...
Old 08-10-2011, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDuncan View Post
I know what you mean when - you can't hardly hear the creek anymore for that flat stretch above both creeks, but I realized that that's just because you're being watched
Not to freak you out any further, but that's exactly where it happened

I'm normally not too concerned with the bears, but this one surprised me at a close distance (my fault), which is enough to give you a jolt of adrenaline. That compounded with the fact that the bear reports have skyrocketed recently as I get e-mails everyday from the park service to this effect, and that I was carrying 4 smelly trout with me

This was the first bear I have ever seen in the area. Go to Greenbrier up "bear alley" if you want to have a run in with them, or Laurel Falls is almost a sure bet
Old 08-10-2011, 01:35 PM

Yeah reminds me of a trip last june to jake's creek, I was sitting on a rock looking downstream (just finished releasing a trout) when a small yearling came charging out of the woods, into the stream 10 yards away from from where I was, turned and run splashing all the way upstream. He followed a few seconds later by a really pissed large adult male who I guess was running the yearling out of his territory. Neither one saw me, probably because I was behind a big boulder from their POV and they too focused on chasing and running away to pay much attention to me, but was a big surprise for sure!
Old 08-11-2011, 10:53 PM

I'm glad you had a good trip. Thats a fine creek, and a perfect example of how a brook trout restoration project can be a success. There are lots of bears this year, and with a poor overall berry production season, they are really moving, looking for food.

A couple of things I wanted to ask you about that nobody else commented on was regarding these statements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckypaddler View Post
I also found out the hard way that the Brookies were indeed spawning. I only took a couple more males after that.
This goes against all biological data on reproduction habits of the salvelinus fontinalis. Could you elaborate on the reasons you came to this conclusion please? Also, if the brook trout were indeed spawning, why would you mention only taking males from that point on? Thank you.

Bugg
Old 08-12-2011, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugg View Post
I'm glad you had a good trip. Thats a fine creek, and a perfect example of how a brook trout restoration project can be a success. There are lots of bears this year, and with a poor overall berry production season, they are really moving, looking for food.
Bugg
Actually its been an incredibly good berry season in the Smokies this year maybe the best year I have seen in a long time. I have surveyed the berries the last two weeks on the AT and in lower elevations along Curry Mtn trail, Meigs Mountain trail, and Lumber ridge trail. Ran into a bear eating them on the Lumber ridge trail. The only problem I see is that the berries are usually ripe by mid August but seem to be a week or two behind this year which is unusual given that everything else seemed to be early this year. I will be up on Gregory's bald on Sunday will see what is going on berry wise there in the SouthWest end and report back on it.

Bugg also if you check out duckypaddlers pics in the link he put on this post you will see how he came to the conclusion that at least some of the specks were spawning and why he took males from that point on

http://gosmokies.knoxnews.com/profil...=2hvzainc23h5b

Hey Jack (JAB)...
Old 08-12-2011, 09:42 AM

Quote:
This goes against all biological data on reproduction habits of the salvelinus fontinalis. Could you elaborate on the reasons you came to this conclusion please? Also, if the brook trout were indeed spawning, why would you mention only taking males from that point on? Thank you.

Bugg
Really? I did a 2 second google search, and it looks like they spawn in the fall, probably just about time for the eggs to start developing, and in a couple of weeks the early spawners start dancing.
He would mention only taking males from that point on because he's trying to be a good ward of the resource and not take egg laden females. However, other than his conscience, it probably wouldnt matter. People get on their high horse and harp on catch and release, but these small streams arent productive enough for the large amounts of fish they hold, and thats why the fish tend to be so small. If anything taking a few helps the overall population. A bad stretch of weather could cause high water and wipe out an entire year class of fry, so 5 fish wont hurt anything. Even when a whole class is lost, the fish keep surviving, and get bigger.
Old 08-12-2011, 08:28 PM

I went up in the same area a couple of weeks ago and noticed all the brush bent down on the sides of the creek. Must have been a real gullywasher! I picked up one brookie that was probably in the 9 inch range that had more girth than anyone that I had seen. In retrospect, could have been one of those egg-laden females.

I almost missed a crossing coming back out and had to do some back-tracking. Sometimes the trail seems more of a suggestion of prior traffic. But if you persevere long enough (I walked for about an hour from the parking lot before even starting fishing) it really pays off. Don't know what you were using DP but they were all over a yellow EHC when I was there. Tried a green weenie and a beetle without a single sign of a fish and then tied the EHC back on and they started rising out of that same pool. No more switching for me that day.

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.
bartonca@hotmail.com
Old 08-15-2011, 01:37 PM

Quote:

A couple of things I wanted to ask you about that nobody else commented on was regarding these statements.

Bugg
If you check out my pictures you will see the female that was full of eggs. That combined with some coloration change

I'm in no way an expert, but if I liked caviar, I would have had a treat.

And Jay B - I agree it is most likely just making me feel better, but I would rather error on the safe side

Thanks for all your responses, and I'll try to get my 47 report up soon