Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Rod Building

Old 08-22-2011, 06:03 PM

I've used Helmsman Spar Urethane on fiberglass rods.

Still researching and acquiring tools to built my first bamboo rod from a culm. I don't like to point you to another forum, but as a resource you might check out Clark's Classic Fly Rod Forum for more specific information on bamboo rods. Lots of info on finishes to dig through there.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:06 PM

Thanks, will do. Thanks again everyone for all the help.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:45 PM

If you can call LRO and get walter babbs phone # he would be glad to answer any questions you might have. He built my first cane rod.
Old 08-23-2011, 01:28 PM

Thanks for the idea, Flyred. I think I won't bother Mr.Babbs at this point. Seems like a simple fix at this point. I'll research further though.
Old 08-23-2011, 10:28 PM

BlueRaiderFan,
Epoxy is used on graphite/glass rods. It can be between one and three coats depending on how thick it is applied. I have built bamboo rods from preformed blanks although I am certainly not a professional in this area of rod construction. After much consultation with known builders I chose to use spar varnish. Be advised that varnish is much thinner than epoxy. It should be applied to the rod while it is in a turner of 18-20 rpms and monitored for sagging. Varnish takes much longer to dry. Apply it thinly and build it up to the desired appearance with several coats(maybe 5-10 depending). This is time consuming as I usually only do one coat per day. And yes the finish in the photo appears very thin.

Lee
Old 08-24-2011, 10:31 AM

To me it doesn't look like there is any varnish on the rod or wraps. Maybe one coat on the wraps. Typically you won't see any indentations on the tread wraps. Some builders will go ultra thin on varnish and after several years, the wraps will start to be visible. You can definately add to it if you are concerned. Any spar varnish should work fine. If it is a high dollar rod, you might want to contact a builder to do the work but if not, give it a go. It can always be removed and the guides re-wrapped.
Old 08-24-2011, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 501 View Post
BlueRaiderFan,
Epoxy is used on graphite/glass rods. It can be between one and three coats depending on how thick it is applied. I have built bamboo rods from preformed blanks although I am certainly not a professional in this area of rod construction. After much consultation with known builders I chose to use spar varnish. Be advised that varnish is much thinner than epoxy. It should be applied to the rod while it is in a turner of 18-20 rpms and monitored for sagging. Varnish takes much longer to dry. Apply it thinly and build it up to the desired appearance with several coats(maybe 5-10 depending). This is time consuming as I usually only do one coat per day. And yes the finish in the photo appears very thin.

Lee

Lee, thanks for the info. I don't have a rod turner and since this is a cheap rod off of ebay (nice but it didn't cost much) I went with a spray on spar varnish.

Dwayne
Old 08-24-2011, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmreeves View Post
To me it doesn't look like there is any varnish on the rod or wraps. Maybe one coat on the wraps. Typically you won't see any indentations on the tread wraps. Some builders will go ultra thin on varnish and after several years, the wraps will start to be visible. You can definately add to it if you are concerned. Any spar varnish should work fine. If it is a high dollar rod, you might want to contact a builder to do the work but if not, give it a go. It can always be removed and the guides re-wrapped.
GM,

Thanks for the help. After a bit of reading I had come to the conclusion that it needed more varnish. I used a spray on spar varnish and gave it a light coating. I will go back tonight and do another. I used to paint cars when I was a young man so I know how to lay it on even and thin. I don't think I have any runs and got a decent coat on too. No way I would do this with a nice rod from a pro builder but since I bought this rod for $70 off of ebay (a kids rod building class in Michigan had a bunch they were selling to raise funds for the next class), I thought I would go for it. I think it looks great already. It feels noodly compared to my TFO's so I think it must be a strong mid flex, if not full...but I don't know enough to say for certain. I'll post more pics so you guys can let me know what you think about the varnish levels. Thanks again.

Dwayne
Old 08-24-2011, 11:59 AM

Since you are using a spray and no how to put it on thin, go ahead and give it several coats. It won't hurt. If you do get a run, you can always sand it out after letting it cure and reapply. Most likely it is an old trade rod and will be a good bit "noodly." Do you know how long, pieces, and what line casts good on it?
Old 08-24-2011, 12:50 PM

Will do. Haven't checked any line on it yet but after looking at other rods of similar length, 8 1/2' I would surmise that it is a 6wt rod but I will test my line on it ahead of time to be certain. Oh yeah, it's 3 pieces with two tips...one tip is shorter than the other but at least I have an extra tip Oh well, I can't expect much for $70 and if it helps kids I'm all for it.