Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Old 08-29-2011, 08:35 AM

Default Great weekend for reds

I had a good weekend fishing the grass at high tides for reds. It started off well early in the week, catching 3 reds Wednesday after work. I was not able to fish on Thursday, and Friday the weather was bad due to the storm.

On Saturday evening I fished, and had some challenges early, having a several fish miss the fly....I ended up changing to a darker pattern, and ended up catching 1.

I figured out later what the real problem was. The fly that I thought the fish were missing, had the hook broken off almost at the bend. You would have thought that I would have noticed, but when you strip set and get nothing and the fly is on still......

Anyway Sunday morning was a better day and I ended up catching 4 fish.

Fish 1

Fish 2

Fish 3

Fish 4

The nice thing about Sunday was that there were two fishable high tides. The evening High was a little late, not getting high until around 9:15pm where I was. I went out and fished the incomming till dark and managed 1 fish.

I caught the fish on my blue crab pattern, or my MCG crab pattern.
Old 08-29-2011, 01:36 PM

Question A little set up advice please

Mr. John,
I have my first Red on the Fly trip coming up first of October in Destin FL.

I'll be using a 9ft 8wt (TFO-PRO) with a Rio General Purpose Saltwater WF line and have a question on leader...what do you think about:

SA 9' 15-25lb "Shock" Fluorocarbon with some 11-15lb Flouro tippet?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Old 08-31-2011, 12:08 PM

Plunker,
I am not a big flouro fan personally. I generally just use a 7.5 foot 20lb abrasion resistant leader and add 18 inches of tippet. Here in Beaufort I use 20lb tppet material as well. If the fish in Destin a really pressured I am sure you could size it down to something in the 13-15 lb range for the tippet.

If you are set on using flouro....you may consider using a regular mono leader and use a flouro tippet.

John
Old 08-31-2011, 08:27 PM

nice fish. as my avitar shows I to am a redfish fan. thanks for sharing
Old 08-31-2011, 11:58 PM

Question Hmm no Flouro huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnH0802 View Post
Plunker,
I am not a big flouro fan personally. I generally just use a 7.5 foot 20lb abrasion resistant leader and add 18 inches of tippet. Here in Beaufort I use 20lb tppet material as well. If the fish in Destin a really pressured I am sure you could size it down to something in the 13-15 lb range for the tippet.

If you are set on using flouro....you may consider using a regular mono leader and use a flouro tippet.

John
Thanks John.....but I have to ask, why no Flouro? I use it almost exclusively on my light tackle spinning reels and have recently just started using Flouro leaders for fly....I really like it for clear water apps, and mostly use a palomar terminal not, so not strength hasn't been an issue....
Just curious?
Old 09-02-2011, 09:00 AM

Plunker,
I am a hook setter....I like setting the hook, and from my days as a tournament bass fisherman and my early days with redfish the flouro just doesn't have the shock strength. I have broken too many freshwater bass off on the hook set and too many redfish on the strip set. It is just my preference and if it works for you and you get good results by all means you should stick with what you have confidence in. As I stated, I am just not personally a flouro fan.

John
Old 09-02-2011, 03:04 PM

Default Thanks John

I appreciate the response.
I was really interested in your answer by way of learning and improving.
I hadn't thought of shock in that I mostly use Flouro light tackle (Crappie, Bream, and stocker trout)....
As to hoggin.... The baitcasters are all Braid, all the time.

As to the Reds, I'll use your recommendation, cause I'm dang sure gonna be setting that hook!!!

Thanks for the tip(pet)....yeah yeah just couldn't resist that one!