Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 09-06-2011, 09:10 PM

Default Clinch Pulse

Hey,

Question on the Clinch pulse, do they generally last the entire one hour listed on the TVA site? Haven't fished around pulses for some reason on the Clinch, on the Holston and SOHO they seem to last around 40-45 minutes when I have been around to observe the action.

Thanks,

Neal
Old 09-06-2011, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pineman19 View Post
Hey,

Question on the Clinch pulse, do they generally last the entire one hour listed on the TVA site? Haven't fished around pulses for some reason on the Clinch, on the Holston and SOHO they seem to last around 40-45 minutes when I have been around to observe the action.

Thanks,

Neal
It varies, sometimes it is 30-45 minutes, sometimes it is right at an hour, and other times it last a little longer. Dice roll in other words.
Old 09-06-2011, 11:37 PM

The pulse should be exactly one-hour per the scheduled release. However; the effect on the water flows varies. Generally; it will only be un-wadable for about 30-40 minutes with several hours of previous down time.
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 09-07-2011, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadisonBoats View Post
The pulse should be exactly one-hour per the scheduled release. However; the effect on the water flows varies. Generally; it will only be un-wadable for about 30-40 minutes with several hours of previous down time.
In theory you are correct. But having sat numerous times below Cherokee and Norris waiting for the pulse, or waiting for a pulse to cease has shown that it varies. 3 years ago the pulse on Cherokee lasted about 20 mins, and was done, this year it lasted a full hour most times, but did run for 40 mins a couple of times as well.

Since the pulse is controlled elsewhere it should be an hour every time, but that seems to not be the case from my experiences.
Old 09-07-2011, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterwolf View Post
In theory you are correct. But having sat numerous times below Cherokee and Norris waiting for the pulse, or waiting for a pulse to cease has shown that it varies. 3 years ago the pulse on Cherokee lasted about 20 mins, and was done, this year it lasted a full hour most times, but did run for 40 mins a couple of times as well.

Since the pulse is controlled elsewhere it should be an hour every time, but that seems to not be the case from my experiences.
Yes, I agree! I was trying to elaborate on the variability of the water levels and drain down times that come in to consideration. It is always best to get safely ashore and take a break if you are unclear on the water conditions.

Old 09-07-2011, 06:39 PM

Waterwolf/Madison,

Thanks for the input! They have really changed up the schedule this week with the lower air temps, I'll have to work around that pulse they are having in the late morning. Hope to get there on Friday, haven't fished the Clinch since late June. I would assume the fish are stout since there hasn't been as much fish-able water for waders during the last few months.

Neal
Old 09-07-2011, 07:11 PM

I hope to get in a couple hours before my afternoon meetings tomorrow. Maybe I will see you out there...

Old 09-07-2011, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pineman19 View Post
Waterwolf/Madison,

Thanks for the input! They have really changed up the schedule this week with the lower air temps, I'll have to work around that pulse they are having in the late morning. Hope to get there on Friday, haven't fished the Clinch since late June. I would assume the fish are stout since there hasn't been as much fish-able water for waders during the last few months.

Neal
The schedule change is a result of 8" of rain on Monday. Better check back to see if the river has cleared by Friday. It was orange below the interstate today, and still stained above that as well.