Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Boats, Canoes and Kayaks

Old 12-20-2010, 09:18 AM

The jon is more utility oriented, it's easier to load in a pickup and move about because nromally they're a good bit lighter than a V. On the other hand a V will ride much better on flat water, and for your smaller boats, say 14' and less, the V will be more stable. Both have their place for sure, a V is generally higher price wise and can be as much as twice the price of a similar size jon.
In the Jon boat side you have riveted and welded, and also a few companies that have made poly boats. My first Jon was a 14' 32" boat and it served me well for years on the river. I had a 15hp evinrude on it and it would fly! I eventually traded up to a 15' 46" and felt like I had moved into a castle! Keep in mind they're just like a basement or a storage building, no matter how big the boat is, you will aquire enough stuff to fill it up!!
Eventually, you'll run out of room in that boat and you'll get a bigger one, and then you'll want both a V and a Jon, etc. You may not believe it now but trust me, it's just how it works! If you're married then prepare to spend twice as much, you'll have to buy her something every time you buy the boat something. (They're in competition you know).
Seriously, good luck, I'm sure if you love to be on the water like I do then it doesn't matter. You could be in a washtub and manage to have a good day!
Old 12-20-2010, 09:23 AM

mine measures 48" across the floor of my v-hull. Don't get in a hurry to buy. There are a couple of boat shows coming up in January in the Knoxville area which will get people thinking about upgrading to a new boat. They will need to sell the old rig not only for the money but to keep the peace with their spouse!
I went with a shallow v-hull because it was such a good deal for me. I fish rivers and lakes and I grew up fishing both types of water from a v-hull and it was never a problem getting around. Mine is flat on the bottom with the rounded edges on the sides. the front is a shallow v. It you went with a deep v-hull it would be fine on lakes but may drag more on rivers.
the shallow v hulls are very popular with crappie fishermen on the lakes and many have been around for decades of service. the flat bottoms became popular as duck hunting boats in the stump filled marshes of Ark. and La. and also as pond boats across the south. The v-hulls are still very popular up north and in the mid west but you don't seen them for sell on BPS parking lots across the south. Alumacraft, Lowe and G-3 still produce them as angler boats but you don't see them sitting in the showroom or on the lot. those spaces are reserved for flat jon duckboats and high speed 300hp. glass rigs.
Old 01-05-2011, 12:49 PM

Gary, I hate I didn't get by to see you last week or even worse that we couldn't go wet a line! It was just too hectic with having only the one day and the crowds being so thick. It was a literal mess!! Tina and Emily had a good time though but I was some kinda tired of shopping when we got back to the motel Thursday evening. Hope you have a good new year and I hope to hook up with you for a Smallmouth hunt in June. We'll be out for 8 days then and have much more time to explore.---Bran
Old 01-11-2011, 12:06 PM

June will be a good time Bran. Let me know a week or so ahead and I'll take a day off and we'll float the river for Smallies., or take a hike in trip for some more brook trout .
Old 01-11-2011, 10:55 PM

That sounds mighty good Gary! I'm already looking forward to it!
Old 08-30-2011, 10:48 AM

Default Flat bottom or V-Hull??? Or does it matter...

Okay, It has been a while but I am getting to the point now where I am actively looking for a boat (under$1,000 preferably) and have run into a bit of an issue.

First off, I should say that my primary body of water would be the Caney Fork River, but I would take it to the Elk some, as well as out East to the smokies from time to time. That said, 75% of my fishing in this boat will be done on the Caney, Elk, or a lake.

Now, the problem is that I have received conflicting advice about whether to buy a flat bottom jon boat or buy a v-hull. Both are looking pretty doable for $1k or under (with some work needed), but I have been told that both have advantages and disadvantages (understandably). I just seem to be unclear as to what they are.

I would love it if someone could say "this boat is the best for what you need". Period. I think that it is going to come down more to personal preference though.

That said, what are some of the pros and cons of a flat bottom jon boat versus a v-hull? 14', 42" wide is what I am looking for. Thinking that the Caney Fork will see most of the action with my boat.

Thanks for the help guys.
Old 08-30-2011, 03:01 PM

Based on what I heard from alot of guys that fish the water you're talking about, a 14ft-16ft/42in-54in wide semi V jon boat would be the ticket. You don't want a deep V boat on the Caney or Elk...too shallow with the generators off. A semi V jon would be preferable over a flat bottom based on the comments I've heard from others.
Old 09-02-2011, 11:17 PM

Several logs tied together...Huck Finn style...you're in.
Old 09-03-2011, 12:49 PM

Default Here is what you need :-)

If it was good enough for Bogie...
Old 09-07-2011, 02:38 PM

Yeah, that could work. And the benefit would be that you would never have to store it in the off season. You could just mulch it.

Still, a nice aluminum boat might be worth the trouble.