Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 09-11-2011, 08:41 AM

Default Brookamus Troutamus TR (Pic heavy)

Oldman and I set out yesterday with one thing in mind, catch some brook trout. We arrived at the stream at 930 and immediately began fishing. This is a very small stream and we had to take turns fishing. I was up first and had a a nice trout rise to my dry on the first cast. Unfortunately, this would be the only action we would see for a while.

Perfect brook trout habitat and a beautiful stream.

After an hour of tough fishing, this was all we had to show for it.

While Oldman was fishing, I took a few more stream pics. Perfect habitat for our slithery, speckled quarry.

Somewhere around 1030, it was like someone flipped a switch and it was on.

Old 09-11-2011, 08:44 AM

The higher we went, the more obstacles we encountered and were soon into some hardcore combat fishing.

It took 15 minutes of climbing, clawing, and belly crawling through some intense rhodo to get from the pool below to where I took this pic. That pool yielded 12 brook trout. I watched Oldman fish it for a while, then I casted in and caught a few for myself.

A few brook trout pics.

Mr. Bear, you left one.

Around 430, we decided to bale out of the stream. We knew we had a good bit of bushwacking and more belly crawling to get from the stream to the old trail. Once back at the car, Oldman casted in and caught a pretty nice rainbow, but we did not get a pic.

It was a great day, and by far, the most productive day I have ever had. We were counting for a while but we quit counting somewhere around 90 fish. A fair estimate would be 120 brook trout caught and released. They were hungry and many pools yielded 8-12 fish.

This was my first time fishing this feeder stream, although I fish the main stream quite often. Oldman has told me several times I need to fish it, I am glad I finally did.

Most fish were caught on bushy dries and BHHE nymphs. I did fish a green weenie for a short time, but the other combo seemed to be more productive.
Old 09-13-2011, 11:28 AM

great pics of trip. I would have O.D'd on Advil if I had been along! Bushwacking is a great description.
Old 09-14-2011, 08:45 AM

Default Great Report

Looks like my kind of water.

After 2 slower trips, I was finally glad to hit some numbers on Mon. I was beginning to wonder if I had lost something

Gotta love those Brookies
Old 09-14-2011, 10:05 AM

Great report! Looks like quite the adventure. I really like that first pic as well, of the mossy old trees across the stream.