Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Old 09-22-2011, 11:16 AM

bigpopper,

I think you have gotten great advice above. I am not an experienced bonefisherman but was in T&C with my family last March, found a great guide, caught some nice fish, and caught a few on my own as well. Happy to tell you what I know (though it may only fill a thimble). Send me your questions or send me a private email. I'd be happy to talk live time if that helps. As to some questions you've asked, I used a 10' 7 wt Sage SP (so your 8 wt should be enough) and yes, you need a license to fish both with a guide and on your own. Do be careful of the protected waters off Grace Bay - can't fish them from shore.
Old 09-25-2011, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayK View Post
bigpopper,

I think you have gotten great advice above. I am not an experienced bonefisherman but was in T&C with my family last March, found a great guide, caught some nice fish, and caught a few on my own as well. Happy to tell you what I know (though it may only fill a thimble). Send me your questions or send me a private email. I'd be happy to talk live time if that helps. As to some questions you've asked, I used a 10' 7 wt Sage SP (so your 8 wt should be enough) and yes, you need a license to fish both with a guide and on your own. Do be careful of the protected waters off Grace Bay - can't fish them from shore.
Where were you able to fish on your own Ray? I will be staying at Grace Bay, so now that's ruled out.

"We try to be perfect, but we're only fishermen. We wade out into the water, we don't walk on top of it."
Old 09-25-2011, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckytroutbum View Post
bigpopper-

I've fished a lot of the islands in the Carib. for bonefish, tarpon, & permit so I think I have some experience that can share.

You'll be fine with an 8wt with WF8F line. For flies, you'll need some crazy charlies, gotcha's, etc. Also, I'd have some some Deceivers, merkel crabs, etc. Talk to your guide before you go, so you can stock up. Most guides tie their own, or order a bunch on line to last throughout the season. Few fly shops to speak of. Also a mid arbor or large arbor reel will be a plus with 250 to 300 yards of backing, because the fish will RUN.

You want to fish the flats on a incoming tide, because bonefish & permit will follow shrimp & crabs into the skinny water. You cast to bonefish by sight fishing. Patience will be your virtue in the turtle grass. Permit will be a little bit further out in slightly deeper water on a sand bottom. You cast when you see their tails, and cast ahead of them to allow the fly to sink to the grass and then do short strip retrieves, and then wait. You want to imitate a nervous shrimmp thats trying to get away slowly and not become dinner. Look for cuts or small channels in the flats because that how the fish will come onto the flats.

Look for "nervous" water. It will be a small patch of water thats shimmering different that the surrounding flats, and indicates that a school of fish are moving onto the flats. You'll usually see the nervous water before they start "tailing." It will look like water in glass that being lightly shaken.

Before you go, practice casting into the wind! There is always wind, and it goes on-shore during the day. A lot of times, I'll use a side arm cast to keep the fly line low, to minimize the wind factor. Practice till you can cast at least 60 feet in the wind. You'll need it.

Dress for the sun with a good Bimni hat, sun lotion, long sleeve fishing shirt, and a good pair of polarized sunglasses. Take plenty of water & some snacks.

Good luck, and let us know how you do.

Bill
Quick question Bill,
I was talking to an outfitters down there and they suggested I bring flats boots or water sandals. I have both, however the boots are black. What do you suggest?
Thanks again,
Mark

"We try to be perfect, but we're only fishermen. We wade out into the water, we don't walk on top of it."
Old 09-26-2011, 10:24 AM

bigpopper-

I would definitely wear boots! You want to wear a pair that you can walk the flats for a good part of the day, and that seal tight around the ankles to keep out sand. Nothing worse than sand rubbing your feet raw. Also, there can be stinging animals, coral, anemonies, small outcropping of rocks, etc. They should also have drain holes or fabric to quickly drain water.

Black boots should be ok, you're going to be standing in water that goes from ankle deep to knee deep so color is not a problem. I've also seen neoprene "socks" that you wear inside of flat boots. They fit tight around the ankles. I don't have any "socks" so I can't speak to their effectiveness.

Therefore, my suggestion is not to wear sandals.

I have a pair of flats boots that are made by a company called "bite", and I believe I bought those on line at Cabelas. They have worked great. Korkers used to make a pair also, and may still do so.

Feel free to ask more questions, it always helps.

Bill
Old 09-27-2011, 09:32 AM

Mark,

Some follow up on your questions:

There's a couple of places to go on your own but you'll need a car and in some cases a jeep. Get one of the color maps that are available all over the island and these spots will be marked. Additionally, the protected waters are marked on the map which is helpful.
- Flamingo and Turtle Lakes. South central on the island, shallow, wadable and mucky. You can find YouTube videos of guys fishing these. It was too windy to fish them when I was there.
- Silly Creek area. Again, south central on the island, there are some places where public roads cross and it's out of the wind. Caught 3-4 pounders in there roadside.
- Bonefish point. Far west edge of island. I did not get out that way but I'm told it's pretty remote and you need 4WD to get there.

Turtle Creek Marina is where I got my license. The Tiki Bar there is not bad for casual food.

Definately wear wading boots as was recommeded. I bought a pair of Simms that were pretty reasonable and held up great.

Hope you have a great trip. Let me know how you do or if you have any other questions.