Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 09-23-2011, 03:51 PM

P.S. I videoed the Jackson meeting a week or so ago and could post the guide discussion on Youtube if there is any interest in it. The video camera was set-up stationary so their is not a lot in terms of viewing the data they presented, but the audio is clear and you can hear it in their own words.
Old 09-23-2011, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnTodd View Post
P.S. I videoed the Jackson meeting a week or so ago and could post the guide discussion on Youtube if there is any interest in it. The video camera was set-up stationary so their is not a lot in terms of viewing the data they presented, but the audio is clear and you can hear it in their own words.
Todd, that would be interesting to view. I have discovered that Youtube has several editing features that allows the uploader to add notes of interest and information at different points during the video. Anyhow; I think it is great to discuss/debate topics such as these. It ensures they get adequate attention and review before blindly getting implemented.
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 09-23-2011, 09:10 PM

Here is the video, it is about 17 minutes long.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCUc9AnFav0
Old 09-24-2011, 08:23 PM

Thanks for the video upload.

After watching the video and reading the posts throughout the discussion I wonder what guides were contacted for the data collected for and mentioned in this presentation. As it reads on this forum none of the guides on our local waters were contacted, yet their home waters will be affected by this decision. I as well knew nothing of this proposed change.

It was mentioned in the presentation that most of the pressure for this proposition comes from the flows in north east Tennessee, so why would pressure on those two tailwaters result in state wide regulation. I wonder how many out of state guides drive in to guide the Clinch or the Holston??

If those water sheds need more regulation or monies why not target those specific flows. I pay extra fees, on top of a trout stamp, to fish selected stocked streams, such as Tellico, or G-burg, in the form of a daily permit.

I also can not understand the purpose of even proposing the need for a six pack license on tailwater. This is in fact a tailwater guide license. That is yet another cost to the guide. A boater safety course, sure, not a coast guard captains license.

I also have a question about the warm water stocking program. We know in buying a license as sporting anglers that we are paying for the management of our game and non game resources and any conservation efforts there. So in buying my sportsman license every year I am also funding the stocking of alligator gar in west Tennessee and the counting if shiners in one of our beautiful east tennessee rivers. However, sportsman are the flow of that revenue. If we are losing funding to one part of a program and not another why would we not take care of that source of revenue and reallocate the funds that they are already putting into the system. I am not a huge fan of gar anyway and I would say that trout probably sell more license than walleye.

Dont get me wrong. I am not completely against the use of a guide license. However, like others have mentioned it needs to be for the right reasons and done the right way. Guiding is a hard enough business, as mentioned, and I know that the majority of in state guides are not making a fortune as it is now... I dont know about that 2 river area that this proposition is addressing.
Old 09-25-2011, 11:21 AM

Thanks for the video Todd. Considering that our tailwaters have been under attack by mother nature the COE and around here canoe and kayak business, you'd think TWRC would appreciate the guides who have been out there trying to keep them in good graces in the public eye. Instead they want to punish them. It's a shame.

Last edited by Mike_Anderson; 09-25-2011 at 11:51 AM..
Old 09-25-2011, 04:59 PM

Just an FYI, the next TWRC meeting is as follows.

October 13-14, 2011
TWRA Region 2 Ray Bell Building
Ellington Agricultural Center
Nashville, TN 37211
615-781-6500
Thursday - 1:00 p.m.
Friday - 9:00 a.m.
Old 09-26-2011, 04:42 PM

From a TWRA officer over at TNdeer on this subject.

"And, apparently, the Caney has become nationally recognized as one of the premier trophy trout rivers in the country. Guides are booking clients from all over the country to fish the Caney, and some guides want to protect the quality of the fishery by restricting the numbers of guides and reducing the fishing pressure. So, from what they tell me, the sentiment does not seem that we need more non-resident trout fishermen, but that we have more than plenty."

http://www.tndeer.com/tndeertalk/ubb...gonew=1#UNREAD

Last edited by Mike_Anderson; 09-26-2011 at 07:48 PM..