Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 09-28-2011, 01:22 PM

Default Upcoming Trip to GSM

Will be heading to GSMNP in about 108 hours (but who's counting? me!) and staying for about a week - - camping at the KOA in Townsend.

Recognizing the uncertainty of weather forecasts, etc., if anyone is prone to 'predicting' the future, because I've been led to believe this trip is 'all' about my getting as much time 'on' the water as I can, I'm wondering:

1) should I not get my hopes up for some fine fishing weather?
2) should I plan to spend more time in upper or lower elevation waters?
3) 'typical rig' for me in GSMNP is a dry-dropper, but will go dry-only at times - - reason(s) to believe dry-dropper may be more productive than dry-only?

Many thanks - - the fishing reports whether by Byron, Daniel, or 'forum members' provide some of the most enjoyable and informative reading one could ask for - - this is a great 'service' provided by LRO (not to mention their high quality customer service at the shop) - -
FishStu
Old 09-28-2011, 02:26 PM

I think the weather is going to be incredible over the next 10 days. The only down side is the water level may be a bit low. I noticed it is already down from that recent rain back to 70 cfs. By this weekend it will probably be done in the 50s or possibly lower. Still will be good fishing if I had to guess and it will look fine. As far as elevation I think both will be equally good higher and lower with the cool temps we will be seeing over the next few days. If it were me though I would test that by starting the day low on the first day and then head up high after lunch. I always recommend doing the dry dropper unless they fish are just hammering the dry which does happen from time to time then I will clip off the dropper but most days I keep it on just because I like catching more fish. Have fun Fishstu!

http://gosmokies.knoxnews.com/profil...=2hvzainc23h5b

Hey Jack (JAB)...
Old 09-28-2011, 04:50 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishstu View Post

1) should I not get my hopes up for some fine fishing weather?
2) should I plan to spend more time in upper or lower elevation waters?
3) 'typical rig' for me in GSMNP is a dry-dropper, but will go dry-only at times - - reason(s) to believe dry-dropper may be more productive than dry-only?
1) I'm getting my hopes up, but with the weather I'd say anywhere between spectacular, or moderately slow fishing. It a transitional time of year, and I think it is hard to predict.

2) For once, I'd say you'd be fine on either. Usually I try & stay up high all summer, and low when it gets real cold, but now just fish whatever water suits you best.

3) I know alot of dry fly purists will strike me down, but you'd be stupid not to have a dropper rig if you are comfortable enough to not keep getting it tangled. When the fish tell me to, I'm never afraid to cut off the dropper, but this year has been weird and there was only one trip I fished dry only in the park this year (as opposed to usually from mid June therough Aug)

I hope that helps! And good luck to both of us!

Has anyone on this fourm ever fished or know anyone who has fished Bill's or Little Niagra ? I'm wondering if they are big enough to hold fish
Old 09-28-2011, 08:03 PM

Why not use a New Zealand rig? two wets or nymphs.
Old 09-28-2011, 08:35 PM

Default Just Last Thursday

I fished the WPLP last week and used a dry (orange stimulator and orange palmer) with a beaded green weenie dropper. All but one of my catches were on the bgw dropper. I only brought 10 to hand but 9 of them were keepers with quite a few in the 8-9" range. Healthy, healthy rainbows. Don't know if they'll still be hitting a green weenie when you get here but it's worth a try. Note: This was in the gorge so it was just below 3,000 feet elevation.

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.
bartonca@hotmail.com
Old 09-29-2011, 01:08 PM

Thanks, all.

It's been while since I've read / heard anything about New Zealand rig. Anything unusual about the 'configuration' (e.g., tied like a dry-dropper)?

Also, I understand that there are a number of variations, but recommend same style of nymph but different sizes or different styles of nymphs?

FishStu
Old 09-29-2011, 04:12 PM

Normally, I tie in a soft hackle to the bend of either a beadhead prince or Pheasant Tail. Experiement with whatever strikes your fancy. I just wanted to throw it out there, since it seems like a lot of people don't use two nymphs or wets like that.