Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

View Poll Results: Do you currently use the Pitzen or Davy Knots?
Yes, I use the Pitzen Knot. 4 50.00%
Yes, I use the Davy Knot. 5 62.50%
No. 1 12.50%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-30-2011, 08:52 AM

Post Pitzen Knot-One of my Favorites!

I have been using the Pitzen Knot this year for my flies size 14 to 18 and thoroughly enjoyed the results.

Some of the positives are:
-Easy to tie compared to the smaller knots that require high concentration and controlled wraps.
-Super strong
-Virtually no risk of line tease [this is the main reason I started using the knot].
-Quick to tie
I still use the Davy Knot for my smaller (20-22 size) flies and midges due to its low profile and easy tying.

I am sure several of you are familiar with the Pitzen Knot and use it. However; I thought I would take a moment and introduce it to a few of you that have never tried it. Give it a try if you have trouble tying knots on the water and you want something that will suit you well.

Video Link [Pitzen Knot] (12-18 size flies):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZ5xc...ailpage#t=110s

Video Link [Davy Knot] (20-22 size flies):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yybBY...tailpage#t=51s
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Last edited by MadisonBoats; 09-30-2011 at 08:57 AM.. Reason: links were screwed up:()
Old 09-30-2011, 09:04 AM

That's funny. I just posted on the double nymph thread about using the Pitzen knot. Hugh Hartsell taught it to me and I find it to be very strong and fairly easy to tie.
Old 09-30-2011, 09:29 AM

David,
I noticed your post as well. That is very ironic that you posted about it while I was creating the topic. The Pitzen knot has become a fabulous friend for my fumbling hands.

BTW; the fishing has been sensational lately. We should try and get out next week for a couple of hours.

Old 09-30-2011, 10:37 AM

Shawn, That sounds great. Let's keep an eye on the release schedule and try to meet up one morning. Dave
Old 09-30-2011, 01:00 PM

Default Yes for the Davy knot

I've been using the Davy knot almost exclusively for flies tied directly to the tippet for the past year or so and love it. I have yet to have the knot fail (of course it hasn't been tested by any true pigs either) and it's much quicker for me to tie with less waste. I still use the Improved Clinch for any droppers tied off the hook shank of the lead fly, but may start using the Pitzen for that purpose based on the two current threads on that topic.
Old 09-30-2011, 02:46 PM

I've been using the Davy knot for about two years. I have had a few failures so I came up with the "improved" Davy knot. All I do is add one extra turn to the last step. No failures now. It has works on pan fish, trout, carp and steelhead. Next week I'll see if it works on salmon.

I use a regular clinch knot to attach the tippet for a droppers. I place it just above the knot that holds the fly above.
Old 09-30-2011, 04:56 PM

I never heard of either of them! I use the improved clinch knot; used it for about 50 years.
Old 09-30-2011, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavynets View Post
I've been using the Davy knot for about two years. I have had a few failures so I came up with the "improved" Davy knot. All I do is add one extra turn to the last step. No failures now. It has works on pan fish, trout, carp and steelhead. Next week I'll see if it works on salmon.

I use a regular clinch knot to attach the tippet for a droppers. I place it just above the knot that holds the fly above.
I have had a few Davy Knots break on me with a few larger fish. I have never tried adding another turn to beef it up. I will give it a try. Thanks for the tip...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knothead View Post
I never heard of either of them! I use the improved clinch knot; used it for about 50 years.
Now you have... However; I doubt you will change if you have been locked in to one knot for 50 years. I sure doubt I would. I usually only change out of necessity or boredom. You should give them a try for something different if you feel like spicing it up. The improved clinch knot is a fabulous knot and one of my favorites. However; I find it a little big with my smaller flies and these knots are very quick to tie for my fumbling hands.

Old 10-09-2011, 08:11 PM

I could never tie the Pitzen knot; I'm too stupid to remember how to tie it and my fingers far too clumsy. The Davy Knot appears too simple to work well but I will try to remember it and try it out. Thanks.
Old 10-10-2011, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbo View Post
I could never tie the Pitzen knot; I'm too stupid to remember how to tie it and my fingers far too clumsy. The Davy Knot appears too simple to work well but I will try to remember it and try it out. Thanks.
I started using the Davy Knot after Shawn brought it up in a topic some time ago. I like it, but like Heavynets, I've had a couple of failures. I'm going to incorporate his suggestion about an extra turn. For me, its an easy tie and it doesn't produce a bulky knot...a plus when you are tying on midges.