Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-05-2011, 01:48 PM

Default chilhowee lake report

Went over to Chilhowee lake on monday to fish for awhile. Put in at tabcat ramp and headed up to the upper end by calderwood powerhouse. The lake is more like a river up there and they were generating at the powerhouse so they was quite a bit of current. The water temps still felt fairly warm to touch but I had forgotten my thermometer to see actually what the surface temps were. There were several hunters camping on the other side of the lake with dogs. guess they were bear or boar hunters.
The fishing was good, unfortinately the catching part was really bad. tried some topwater early as the fog lifted and later I switched to full sink lines after not seeing any fish in the shallower areas. I did spot 3 largemouth or possibly spotted bass but could not get them to bite anything. did not see a single smallie all day.
Went back down the lake around noonish to abrams creek to look at the tornado damage and fish a little up by the creek inflow. I did finally catch 3 little redbreast sunfish back there on a popper, but it wasn't much of a fight on my 8wt. Better than a skunking though!
Hopefully, if anyone is going to fish the lake for the fall migration trout from the lake , it will rain soon, as the water is very low coming into the lake and lots of trees down to contend with. Doubt I will go back till next spring to bass fish.
It is amazing how much damage the tornado did to the forest along the embayment. huge swaths of trees blown down, some still attached to huge rootballs and others just snapped like a twig. One side of the embayment has a lot of new fish attractors blown down into the water along its edge and the opposite side has cleared areas with muddy banks. cant imagine what it have been like to have been there during the storm. if you have not seen this video , it is worth watching.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlnGMxBGk6I