Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > In The Backcountry

Old 10-10-2011, 08:58 PM

Default HELP ? (non-emergency camping advice)

I have never done any back country camping in the park and am wanting to make a trip up in a couple of weeks with my son inlaw to camp and fish for 3 or 4 days. I am considering either camping up Deep Creek, Enloe Creek, or maybe up near the Bryson Place. I am wondering if anyone might have some thoughts or suggestion as to preferences and trails in to any or each of these. I also am wondering which place might be preferable as to having a safe place to leave our car while camping...and of course any fishing advise including fly selections is certainly welcome.

Thanks in advance and God Bless,
Mike
"Fly-fishing has many attributes, but none more pleasing than it's ability to liberate the young boy that still hides within me and to let that boy live again without embarrassment or regret, sorrow or anguish." Harry Middleton
Old 10-11-2011, 11:19 AM

If you go to 47, you will have to leave your car on Straight Fork road. To get to 47, you can either go up Hyatt Ridge trail to the enloe Creek trail (shorter route 2.7 miles total) or add a few extra miles and go up Beech Gap trail to Hyatt ridge, down to enloe creek (longer, 5.4 miles total, but the elevation gain is spread over 2.8 miles, instead of 1.8 miles) I took the longer route the other week and it took me just under 3 and half hours to get to 47. We didn't have any problem leaving a car there for 4 days a few weeks ago. If you go up Deep Creek, you can at least leave it in the parking area at the Deep Creek front country campsite, and I think the Deep creek trail is going to be your route.
Old 10-11-2011, 03:35 PM

Deep Creek sounds like it might be your best choice..............OR you could opt for Forney Creek..!! Drive to the end of the "Road to Nowhere", park and hike the Northshore trail to site 74. This is about a 3 mile walk that is somewhat roller coaster but its not a bad walk. You would have plenty of fishing on a beautiful creek
................just food for thought...Good luck where ever you might choose !!...Bryson Place is a long walk...5+ miles and it is very roller coaster..
Old 10-11-2011, 07:14 PM

Hi Mike,

I've got some suggestions and ideas for you. Shoot me an email: cbflyfishin at carolina dot rr dot com

Caleb
Old 10-11-2011, 09:47 PM

Default Thanks so much to each of you!!!

I haven't been online or able to post alot for the past couple of years, and have done little if any fishing for the past few years with new grand babies and a few deaths of close friends over the past few months. This trip is a much needed getaway and the information each of you have shared will help make it so much better than what it would have been if I were left to myself

God Bless,
Mike
"Fly-fishing has many attributes, but none more pleasing than it's ability to liberate the young boy that still hides within me and to let that boy live again without embarrassment or regret, sorrow or anguish." Harry Middleton