Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 10-18-2011, 07:51 AM

Default Holdover trout on the Holston

Does anyone know if the trout held over on the hot months on the Holtson? Is it too early to tell yet? I recall last year a significant number of trout made it through the hot months. I hope there were several and am looking forward to next Spring.
Old 10-18-2011, 08:53 AM

Default Holdover trout

The trout have done well this year. This is a critical time for the next few weeks for the trout because the water temps are still high and any stress could be fatal to the trout that you might catch. Give them a few more weeks.
Hugh
Old 10-18-2011, 08:53 AM

I would like to think that several of them do hold over. The big challenge is for enough of them to maintain or stay ahead of the depletion and take rate for them to thrive.

There are so many factors that come in to play in this equation. Additionally; many of these influences are trendy and happen under varying circumstances. So; there could be a few good years of fish hold over and then a complete drop-off due to a unique event. It seems to be a fragile ecosystem for trout habitation year-over.

I wish there would be a golden solution to help protect or improve the tail-water for trout habitat. Maybe some of the fishermen that have many years on this water will help contribute to this post and elaborate better than I have...(?)
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 10-18-2011, 10:39 PM

Thank You Hugh for posting your comments. No one needs to be fishing the Holston until after Christmas unless they plan to keep every fish they catch.
Old 10-19-2011, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterwolf View Post
Thank You Hugh for posting your comments. No one needs to be fishing the Holston until after Christmas unless they plan to keep every fish they catch.
Waterwolf; I do not understand this post. Is it because catching/handling the fish will stress them to not reproduce? I do not know the Holston River that well and I would like to learn more about its ecosystem.

Last edited by MadisonBoats; 10-19-2011 at 08:41 AM.. Reason: darg spelling...
Old 10-19-2011, 09:59 AM

My understanding from waterwolf/Hugh's posts was that because the water temps are too high, the stress of being caught will likely prove fatal to most of the fish caught - thus if you are fishing there, you might as well be planning on keeping what you catch because if you release them they will probably die anyway... unless I am missing something
Old 10-19-2011, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadisonBoats View Post
Waterwolf; I do not understand this post. Is it because catching/handling the fish will stress them to not reproduce? I do not know the Holston River that well and I would like to learn more about its ecosystem.
NDuncan, is dead on.

The water temps get really borderline during the late summer early fall, and through lake turnover. The stress of fighting fish is enough to push them to death, and therefore folks that are determined to not leave them alone, might as well keep a mess.

The fish in the Holston do not appear to reproduce like the fish in the Clinch. Overall the quality of the fish is generally much better in the Clinch with regards to spawning behavior.

Fortunately the Holston is the only major tailwater which really has an issue with this. The Hiwassee usually surpasses borderline and goes to full on kill mode, unless something has changed recently.
Old 10-20-2011, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterwolf View Post
NDuncan, is dead on.

The water temps get really borderline during the late summer early fall, and through lake turnover. The stress of fighting fish is enough to push them to death, and therefore folks that are determined to not leave them alone, might as well keep a mess.

The fish in the Holston do not appear to reproduce like the fish in the Clinch. Overall the quality of the fish is generally much better in the Clinch with regards to spawning behavior.

Fortunately the Holston is the only major tailwater which really has an issue with this. The Hiwassee usually surpasses borderline and goes to full on kill mode, unless something has changed recently.
I see...I did some quick-online research and found a great excerpt from a study by K.R. Mathews and N.H. Berg that elaborates on this topic.

I think it would interesting to see a water temperature record for Cherokee Lake and the Holston river during the winter months over the past decade. That way we could help illustrate any climate variances with fish density or hold-over rates.

Old 10-20-2011, 11:44 AM

Glad Hugh & Jim are voicing the need for restraint on the Holston. The temps get quite warm as already stated.
Knowledge of such places isn't congenital .....the promoting and advertising the **** out of a fishery is not something someone who truly respects and appreciates the fish and fishery would ever do IMO.Unfortunately Cherokee is a shallow lake & subjected to the rigors of maintaining storage for flood control.

Last edited by Steve Wright; 10-20-2011 at 01:59 PM..
Old 10-20-2011, 12:28 PM

What are the temps now, say from the dam to nances ferry.
Lynn