Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-20-2011, 11:16 AM
DBKSTONE2 DBKSTONE2 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 86
Default Caney Report?

How has the Caney been fishing the last couple of weeks? What flies are working (other than Zebra midges)?

Thanks,

DBK
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-20-2011, 01:06 PM
Maglite Maglite is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 32
Default

During high water throw your favorite streamers, my preference is the mighty clouser minnow. Pound the banks and the cover hard when the water is up. Not big numbers, but the payoff is well worth it.

Fishing has been pretty good, not the numbers of days past, but we have been able to stick some solid fish.

For low water, stick to the midges in various colors on a good drift. Good luck out there.

-Mag
__________________
Braton

Buzz'd Fly Fishing
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-20-2011, 02:36 PM
David Knapp's Avatar
David Knapp David Knapp is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Crossville, TN
Posts: 2,186
Default

Gray sow bugs...fairly small like #16-#20. I've been hearing some substantial concerns about water quality so not sure how that will be affecting things...
__________________
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
contact: TroutZoneAnglers at gmail dot com
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-20-2011, 10:49 PM
Grumpy Grumpy is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 783
Default

The DO is way down, water temps still up, fish turning belly up in all part's of the river, sluice gate pushing silt through.
If you go, don't showboat, get the fish in & turn 'em loose as quickly as possible.
I'm hoping the cooler weather helps some, i've seen better days on the river before the sluice was installed

Grumpy
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-21-2011, 09:01 AM
DBKSTONE2 DBKSTONE2 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 86
Default

Guys I appreciate your help. The Caney is a barely a shadow of itself from 3 to 4 years ago. I don't know what the problem is but I wish we could address it. I bought my drift boat in August in the hopes of hitting water that others could not get to. The results have been way less than expected. I thought a lot of my problems were related to wading pressured water. Scratch that idea. Maybe TWRA can tell us whats going on.

Thanks,

DBK
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-21-2011, 09:08 AM
David Knapp's Avatar
David Knapp David Knapp is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Crossville, TN
Posts: 2,186
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBKSTONE2 View Post
I bought my drift boat in August in the hopes of hitting water that others could not get to. The results have been way less than expected. I thought a lot of my problems were related to wading pressured water. Scratch that idea. Maybe TWRA can tell us whats going on.

Thanks,

DBK
Getting away from the major access points does help. I was on the Caney last week and instead of fishing the area we normally do, we waded at least a half a mile from the access point. The fishing improved a lot but it was still because we had the right flies. The fish would only touch one pattern and it isn't what most people are throwing out there...

I'll second what Grumpy said. I watched someone "battle" a solid 14 inch rainbow last weekend for probably 5 minutes. That fish was a goner I'm sure...
__________________
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
contact: TroutZoneAnglers at gmail dot com
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-21-2011, 10:56 AM
ChemEAngler's Avatar
ChemEAngler ChemEAngler is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Knoxville
Posts: 1,140
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Knapp View Post

I'll second what Grumpy said. I watched someone "battle" a solid 14 inch rainbow last weekend for probably 5 minutes. That fish was a goner I'm sure...
I have never figured out why some people get the impression that they can't lean on the fish some to get it in quickly. Sometimes I think it is more of an ignorance issue than showboating. Most times that I have seen it happen are usually followed by the person holding up a 12" trout and claiming that it is the biggest they have ever caught. So, I tend to believe it is something more typical of a novice flyfisherman.
__________________
Travis

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-24-2011, 03:15 PM
DBKSTONE2 DBKSTONE2 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 86
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Knapp View Post
Getting away from the major access points does help. I was on the Caney last week and instead of fishing the area we normally do, we waded at least a half a mile from the access point. The fishing improved a lot but it was still because we had the right flies. The fish would only touch one pattern and it isn't what most people are throwing out there...

I'll second what Grumpy said. I watched someone "battle" a solid 14 inch rainbow last weekend for probably 5 minutes. That fish was a goner I'm sure...
Its not nice to not share!

Last edited by DBKSTONE2; 10-26-2011 at 03:42 PM..
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:18 AM.



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.