Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 10-29-2011, 04:59 PM

Default shooting the wier dam?

Who has done it? I seen Mike do it today. Seems like everyone takes the back side? How bad is it to do? How do you pick your line? Etc.
I'm thinking its going to take 6 or 8 beers for me to do it. But I want to!
Old 10-29-2011, 10:55 PM

By "shooting the Weir Dam" do you mean going over it in a drift boat?
Old 10-29-2011, 11:38 PM

Done it a bunch, nothing to it. However, I would not recommend anyone do it unless you are VERY experienced behind the oars. One screw up and the consequences are going to be deathly serious.

Boat takes a good shot every time when you pass over the metal grates, and will take a toll on the hull over time.

I have run front and back sides, and both seemed the same to me.
Old 10-30-2011, 08:37 AM

I have never done this as it is illegal and that is probably why most do the other side.

I did see a bass boat go up it several years ago. I think he had a few judgement jars.

http://seeinstripes.com/DSCN0890.MOV

http://seeinstripes.com/DSCN0888.MOV

I personally do not think it is any worse than the bottom CWF shoal. Just hit it straight and hold on...that is if I were to ever do it...
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Last edited by MadisonBoats; 10-30-2011 at 09:17 AM..
Old 10-31-2011, 01:18 PM

" Just hit it straight and hold on" so what do you do with the beer at times like this?
Old 10-31-2011, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streamhound View Post
" Just hit it straight and hold on" so what do you do with the beer at times like this?

That's where the hat that holds two cans for hands free beer drinkin comes in, right?
Old 11-01-2011, 11:18 AM

I have been over the weir a couple of times in a drift boat with someone else doing the rowing. I asked about this short time ago with waterwolf being the only one to reply that he had done it. I am an inexperienced drift boat operator but that does not stop me from having an opinion. Being the passenger it seemed rather simple. I think as long as you go over straight or just at a very slight angle you are fine. The times I have been over were rather smooth and quick. I think the big danger is going over side ways. With the "steps" this weir seems to be more like going down a "slide" then over a dam. Perhaps waterwolf could add to this. There is the question of whether it is legal or not.
Old 11-01-2011, 02:23 PM

I just now saw this thread. Those videos MadisonBoats posted are pretty unbelievable. Seems like that sort of stupidity would destroy the lower unit on an outboard motor.

Does anyone remember the Norris rescue squad flipping their zodiac raft in the early 90s while trying to rescue a stranded fisherman near the weir dam? This was before all the lights, sirens, and generation schedules on the internet.
Old 11-01-2011, 03:33 PM

I was told that, TVA can't really do anything to you, but they will make your good day, bad by giving you **** for doing it. The time is near, that I try it.

Now question is say they run 1 from 10 till 1 and the turn 2 on at 1. Is it better to do it on 1 or 2 gens? Where ya at Jim?
Old 11-01-2011, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodonthefly View Post
I was told that, TVA can't really do anything to you, but they will make your good day, bad by giving you **** for doing it. The time is near, that I try it.

Now question is say they run 1 from 10 till 1 and the turn 2 on at 1. Is it better to do it on 1 or 2 gens? Where ya at Jim?
Rod,
The big issues are:
  1. potential damage done to the dam structure
  2. heightened state of security alert at TVA Locations
  3. risk at putting rescue personnel at harm
  4. increase of incidents due to non enforcement
Not that this whole thing is a big-deal in the grand scheme of things; but, there are potential issues. Plus; you would be surprised at how much the upper tail-water is under video surveillance.
to choose, to respond, to change.”