Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Meet the New Members > New Members Board

Old 11-08-2011, 10:01 PM

Default Hello from WVfish72

Just wanted to say hey and introduce myself. I am a WV native, who has been casting flies at trout for about 20 years, tying my own flies for almost as long. My family and I moved to Powell, TN a little over 2 years ago and fishing here has was a very humbling experience, to say the least.
Old 11-09-2011, 12:40 PM

WVfish72, welcome to the board. Please share your experiences with the rest of us who're are still humbled. Shoot an e-mail to info at saintclairmapping dot com if you'd like a welcome map.

JF
Old 11-09-2011, 08:56 PM

Default Humbling experiences

I remember when I first moved here the first 4-5 times I went fishing I caught zero trout. I was extremely frustrated to say the least. I came from West Virginia, where very few of the trout streams have wild trout in them. They are basically all stocked fish, with many hold overs. Needless to say they aren't nearly as difficult to catch. I went from an average day on the Cranberry River of catching 15-25 trout, several times cracking the 30 mark to zip, zero, nada. I have since been flailing away since then and got some great advice from the guys at LRO and Smoky Mountain Angler and slowly started catching some fish. It was a matter of adapting my methods and stile. Now when I go else where, i.e. WV or CO I have had more success than ever, especially in Colorado on the South Platte this past summer. I have discovered a whole new world of flies, several new ones that I will never go fishing again without.