Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 11-15-2011, 09:18 PM

Default no knot leader systems

Being a newbie to the sport I was just wandering what everyones opinion is on this looped no knot leader/tippet system. Are they worth it or is a system designed to catch fisherman instead of fish. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks, flyguys
Old 11-16-2011, 10:46 AM

flyguys-

I've not had much success with looped lines & leaders. For me, they seem to generate wind knots, and tangles more that tied connections. I cut off the loop and use knots to secure the fly line to the leader.

The marketing ads say that you can change your leader out quickly, but how many times does that really happen? Usually a tied leader will last me about 2 weeks before it becomes too short and I need to change it out.

But, there may be those who like the looped lines. I do have to admit that a looped line is easier to change out, in lieu of tying a nail knot or an Albright knot, but I've never had such knots to fail on me. It seems to me that a tied connection turns the fly over readily, as opposed to a "loose" connection.

Bill
Old 11-16-2011, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguys View Post
Being a newbie to the sport I was just wandering what everyones opinion is on this looped no knot leader/tippet system. Are they worth it or is a system designed to catch fisherman instead of fish. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks, flyguys
Hi Flyguys,

Let me start by saying that I have not used Orvis' new no-knot leader/tippet system. Personally it seems **** pricey to get (5) 3 ft sections of tippet for $10! I am quite satisfied with the leader system I use - furled

If you are looking at the no-knot system because you don't like tying surgeon's knots every time you need to add some tippet to your tapered leader, you might want to look at furled leaders as well..

I use Big Sky (LRO carries these) or Streamside brand furled leaders. Both brands have a tiny silver ring that you tie your tippet to with an easy cinch or pitzen knot. Furled leaders turn over your tippet better, knot less frequently, and are much much easier to get knots out of if you do manage to get a knot in it. Furled leaders last several seasons, not several outings (like tapered mono leaders). Furled leaders can be made from different types of line as well. I have them made from Uni, Spectra, and Mono.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckytroutbum View Post
flyguys-

I've not had much success with looped lines & leaders. For me, they seem to generate wind knots, and tangles more that tied connections. I cut off the loop and use knots to secure the fly line to the leader.

The marketing ads say that you can change your leader out quickly, but how many times does that really happen? Usually a tied leader will last me about 2 weeks before it becomes too short and I need to change it out.

But, there may be those who like the looped lines. I do have to admit that a looped line is easier to change out, in lieu of tying a nail knot or an Albright knot, but I've never had such knots to fail on me. It seems to me that a tied connection turns the fly over readily, as opposed to a "loose" connection.

Bill
Bill,

The leaders that flyguys was asking about are not only knotless connecting leader to flyline, but place a loop between the butt section of the leader and the tippet. Not only do you avoid the nail knot at the fly line but also the surgeons knot to add tippet.. Sounds like you'd be doubly against them?
Old 11-16-2011, 10:59 AM

Lightbulb Link to the :[Tru-Blood Knot Tyer]

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckytroutbum View Post
flyguys-

Bill
Bill,
I completely agree and I do the same thing. I believe it is imperative to keep your fly line + Leader + tippet firmly connected and with limited bends or kinks. Also, I am a big fan of using a leather tippet/leader straightener. Many of the Orvis Publications frown on this tool; but, it works great for me!

*One tip: When you tie your connecting knots; dip them in to the water at the beginning of the process and it will help hold them in alignment while completely the knot.

Also, if you are just wanting to speed up or make tying knots easier; look at one of the many knot tying tools on the market. I have used the brass Cinch Tie for many years and you can change flies out in less than a minute.

Link to the :[Tru-Blood Knot Tyer]
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Last edited by MadisonBoats; 11-16-2011 at 11:09 AM.. Reason: Format
Old 11-16-2011, 03:39 PM

A straight leader/tippet will serve the purpose. Windknots come from a casting flaw, according to the video I have; trying to overpower the cast. I take the loop of the leader and put it over the antenna on my van. Then I use the rubber straightener a couple of times. I have started to use furled leaders. Friends say they are worth the cost.
Old 11-16-2011, 05:40 PM

Shawn-

Thanks for the reply. I don't use a blood knot when I'm tying lines or flies. For nail knots, I use the "Tie-fast" tool, which vastly improved the quality and ease of tying these knots, at least for me.

Knothead-

I believe that wind knots or tangles can come from other factors than poor casting technique. For example, if you're drifting a nymph and you get hung up on rocks, the tippet, leader, and line are moving at different speeds in the current, and this can cause knots & tangles. I guess I just prefer the security knowing that everything is securely fastened together.
IMHO.

Bill
Old 11-16-2011, 09:31 PM

Thanks for the info guys. Looks like i will use this winter down time to practice on my knot tying. Mattblick, I will also look into the furled ones, too. Again, thanks for the info. Flyguys.