Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 11-16-2011, 04:01 PM

Default Down Time

In a recent post a member stated that as long as another fisherman was 15 minutes ahead of him he felt he got the same number of rises. I have fished any number of times when I caught few or no fish to later discover someone had been ahead of me. What is the general opinion about how long it normally takes for the trout to be over the trauma of a bumbling fisherman wading thru their environs?
Old 11-16-2011, 04:23 PM

It obviously depends on the size of the water and the season (an early spring mayfly hatch being more forgiving), but it's my personal opinion that it takes no less than 3-4 hours. Also, if a fish gets a sore lip he may not eat again for the rest of the day.
Old 11-16-2011, 05:12 PM

I agree that during a good hatch they don't seem to care as much. I still remember that day on upper Forney during a good hatch where I pulled in one after another from one pool for 30-45min and the fishing didn't slow down until the hatch stopped. Then there are the days where hooking up with a fish is enough to put the whole pool down for a while.

What I have noticed that under normal circumstances, the smaller (4-6"?) rainbows don't seem to care too much, and I have had success fishing a pool and then coming back and fishing again 15 min to an hour later (usually because I had a bunch of strikes or one that got away and I wanted another shot at) and it seems like the smaller fish will go for it again much quicker. Most of the bigger fish got that way for a reason, because they are more wary by nature and they probably take a lot longer before they are comfortable feeding again.
Old 11-16-2011, 05:22 PM

I would also think it depends on what type of fisherman is ahead of you. Is he stealthy ? did he walk through middle of the run when he finished with the pool ? I usually can come back to a pool within 15-20 minutes after spooking it up, and find takers if I'm careful to stay concealed.. that's my MO anyway. Stay low, stay in the shadows and cover that's the way I roll..
Fishhead
Old 11-16-2011, 08:21 PM

I think trout resetting is a huge misnomer in my opinion for tail-waters. However; 98% of my knowledge is from tail-water observations. After reviewing hundreds of underwater videos I shot this year on the Clinch; I have found the trout in a feeding lie will reset in 2-5 minutes with a high-level of previous numbers.

Check out some of my youtube videos. I have numerous videos of me catching fish right beside a school of trout and they barely flinch. Also; I hope to add some new videos very soon. I have been busy cataloging my pictures and footage.

A more apparent issue to me is the influence of predators (not fisherman) and predatory fish. I have noticed that trout become extremely sparse and hold close to the bank, under trees, etc. and shy away from normal feeding lies when there is a presence of otters, striper, blue heron, falcon, etc.

*Here is my opinion and perspective on this issue at a glance! I think a good fly fisherman should be able to adapt, adjust, and approach any situation to catch fish. When I hear people in my fishing party rant about spooking, etc...I usually shy away from fishing with them again. It seems it is always easiest to blame someone else when we cannot blame ourselves!

However; I do think this could be more of an issue in freestone streams with strict confinements.
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 11-16-2011, 08:44 PM

I can understand you theory on tail waters...I just knows that if I am doing all the right things and there are no fish showing themselves I will start looking for signs that someone has been in front of me...I like your thoughts about predators...and I guess we prretty much fit in this category.
Old 11-17-2011, 09:49 AM

Rog 1--I'm pretty much in granny knot's camp when it comes to fish returning to normal, especially if the situation involved is a mountain stream of the size typical for the Park and if wading through the water to move upstream is required. Bigger water is another story, and as someone else said, the nature and skill set of the angler who preceded you can be a factor as well.
For my part, I love casting through cobwebs, because that tells me no one has been there for several days. Conversely, I'm flat-out dismayed when I see wet spots on rocks or other signs of the recent passage of another angler. My spirits and confidence go down, and I for one firmly believe that confidence is an important factor in success.
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com
Old 11-17-2011, 09:59 AM

Jim...When I think there has been someone ahead of me then I usually crank my technique up a notch....I will start hitting those small pockets and side channels and will switch sides of the stream especially if it is not so easy to do so....generally if someone is in front of me I can find a fish or two that way but it is not as much fun...always hate it when you turn a corner and look up to see one or two others that had the same game plan that you did.
Old 11-17-2011, 10:07 AM

When I see wet boot prints I generally climb out of the stream and find a different place to fish.
Old 11-17-2011, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannyknot View Post
When I see wet boot prints I generally climb out of the stream and find a different place to fish.
I'll second that!
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com