Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

View Poll Results: Harvesting Brown Trout?
No one shoud harvest a brown trout! 15 35.71%
One brown trout a day could be harvested if in the slot! 8 19.05%
More than one brown trout a day could be harvested if in the slot! 0 0%
Brown trout should not be harvest during spawing season (Oct.-Dec.) 20 47.62%
The creel limits should stay the same (2011) 5 11.90%
Brown trout harvested on bait means should be minimized to one-fish per day 7 16.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-16-2011, 03:27 PM

I don't keep trout. I get trout in a restaurant- twice in about 15 years. If I'm going to eat fish, I'll get a mess of bluegill or early season crappie. Crappie taste best in water temps of under 40 degrees. Like someone said- fish don't grow bigger doing the backstroke in Crisco.
Old 11-16-2011, 03:35 PM

Default enforcement

Before I complete your survey Shawn, I want to know how much enforcement is place for regulations we already have. I know there are those who mistrust t.w.r.a. (please don't see this an invitation to make your argument) but I assume the limits and slot regs are based on biologist recommendations.
How is enforcement qualified ? I would like to know how often officers are on the stream checking stringers. How many fishermen were checked and results ? How many citations written each quarter.
I never take a trout, if it bleeds I say a short prayer and ask forgiveness then release him to return to his home.
I'll take your survey now Shawn but I think you know my response.
c.v.
Old 11-16-2011, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockeye valdez View Post
Before I complete your survey Shawn, I want to know how much enforcement is place for regulations we already have. I know there are those who mistrust t.w.r.a. (please don't see this an invitation to make your argument) but I assume the limits and slot regs are based on biologist recommendations.
How is enforcement qualified ? I would like to know how often officers are on the stream checking stringers. How many fishermen were checked and results ? How many citations written each quarter.
I never take a trout, if it bleeds I say a short prayer and ask forgiveness then release him to return to his home.
I'll take your survey now Shawn but I think you know my response.
c.v
From my knowledge; I know that TWRA in Region 4 is doing the best it can to address huge budget cuts with the same amount of responsibilities. I am a big fan of protecting breeding size fish (slot). However; I would like to see more restrictions on brown trout harvesting.

I can assure you that TWRA has been more active on the Clinch this year than many of the past years combined. I have been supporting this as well. Ask around and you will find that many people have been checked by TWRA on the Clinch.

The big issue for the state is funding cutbacks. TWRA has been hit hard with this as well. We need to voice our opinions for increased funding and conservation with our government. Also, TWRA gets a miniscule percent of any fines it issues. Most of the money goes to the county/court. I find this ridiculous and something that needs to be changed. So; what happens is that agents have to balance their time for conservation work and enforcement to address as many issues as they can with reduced funding.

The main reason I posted this topic was to get input on brown trout being creeled. I personally do not harvest brown trout; unless it is mortally wounded, etc. Also; my position is primarily based on the Clinch River. I think protecting browns would allow them to grow in size and it would create a huge opportunity for catching trophy sized fish with regularity on the Clinch.
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Last edited by MadisonBoats; 11-17-2011 at 09:10 AM.. Reason: tried to clean it up:) wording..
Old 11-22-2011, 09:30 PM

Shawn,

I won't express an opinion on this subject because quite frankly I don't have enough experience or knowledge to adequately do so. And when I fish TN waters I try to conduct myself as a guest and follow the rules that are status quo. I will however respect the opinions of all who are neighbors and residents down there and support what ever you much more knowledgeable folks have to say.

I most generally release the bigger fish myself because that is what I feel is the right thing to do in most cases, unless of course the fish is in doubt of survival. But if its a slot situation, I stay within the legal boundaries as required by sportsman ethics and the regs.

-don't tell me why we can't, tell me how we can.- whitefeather