Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 11-20-2011, 09:41 AM

Post Clinch Report: Nov. 20, 2011

Clinch Report from last Thursday.
Air Temp: 60 Deg.
Water Temp: 58 Deg.
Water Quality: 30% stained (light green)
Hatch:
-Early [very slow and limited]
-Evening [Very heavy adult midges]

Action:
The trout are active; but, their feeding habits seem to be a little slower than normal. I found that I had to adjust my presentation rate down to slight twitches with anything other than midges. Also; big-heavy midges on longer drops will help you get down to the fish holding in the feeding lies.
The fishing has been pretty good. Most of the fish I have been catching are fairly average in size and I have not hooked anything above 13-15" in a couple of weeks. However; I think you could do well with some streamers or larger flies.

Be care wading; most of the substrate rock has been covered with a new layer of mud and it will take a few dry out days/generation cycles to clear them up.
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 11-21-2011, 07:59 PM

i went up to the clinch for a few hours friday afternoon and a hatch was on. around 430/5 pm i stopped at peach orchard and it was like watching an upside down snowstorm. i have never seen anything like it. i had no clue what they were, and had nothing that small to offer. is it likely these were those midges also?
Old 11-25-2011, 07:27 PM

Without a doubt. unless it was scuds practicing for the Nutcracker and the trout were all over them!
Old 11-26-2011, 09:13 AM

cool. i didn't know if midges come off in numbers like that. still learning here, one day i'll be useful enough to help one of y'all out. i would pay to see the scud nutcracker ballet being eaten by trout. i do like some tchaikovsky now and then
Old 11-26-2011, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77punk View Post
cool. i didn't know if midges come off in numbers like that. still learning here, one day i'll be useful enough to help one of y'all out. i would pay to see the scud nutcracker ballet being eaten by trout. i do like some tchaikovsky now and then
I love listening to some of the classics on headphones while fly fishing. Just be extra self-aware.

There are plenty of different midge hatches in the winter. You can throw dry or emergent midge patterns if you are working a hatch and a rise. The main colors I use are black, tan, burnt orange, and olive drab.

As for scuds dancing; seems like most of them were doing that in Sept/Aug. A good active scud pattern is the 'Trout Crack' version. Search the NET; for the recipe. It is an easy tie.

Old 11-26-2011, 08:30 PM

If you're really really bored this winter and it's really cold out and you're wishing for those dry fly hatchesof the spring. Wait for a cloudless day and bright sun to be out on low water for about 3-4 hours and go fish a midge rise!
Old 11-27-2011, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat Fly n View Post
If you're really really bored this winter and it's really cold out and you're wishing for those dry fly hatchesof the spring. Wait for a cloudless day and bright sun to be out on low water for about 3-4 hours and go fish a midge rise!
Phil,
I usually take any chance I can get to watch a hatch. My biggest problem during those swarms is not swallow any midges. Not to mention when the gnats get fired up and try to land in my ears, nose, and mouth.

Old 11-30-2011, 09:21 AM

Great report Shawn. I am just now getting my account fixed so I can post.
Old 11-30-2011, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutmanbrook View Post
Great report Shawn. I am just now getting my account fixed so I can post.
Man, I have been looking for you on here. You have a great passion for our sport and I have seen you progress immensely this year. Also; you are a great ambassador this sport and someone that I enjoy fishing with...

Ok, you know were to send the check to...

Old 11-30-2011, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadisonBoats View Post
Man, I have been looking for you on here. You have a great passion for our sport and I have seen you progress immensely this year. Also; you are a great ambassador this sport and someone that I enjoy fishing with...

Ok, you know were to send the check to...
Thanks for the compliments! I can honestly say, without knowing great anglers like yourself, It would have taken me much longer to get to where I am today. Thank you for sharing your trade secrets, and always being willing to drop everything you are doing, to lend a hand to a struggling greenhorn.

Dude, the check has been in the mail for like a week now, should arrive tomorrow.