Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > In The Backcountry

Old 11-19-2011, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmike View Post
amsteel blue that is in reality gray and am planning to use the 7/64' to make an adjustable ridgeline and some of the 1/8" to make whoopie slings. Let the fun begin....

Mike
It actually comes in several colors, but the colors don't stay on the rope too well, it actually rubs off over time. Not a big deal but if you're splicing you may notice your hands turning colors if you use the darker stuff. That stuff is amazingly strong and tough. Hard to cut though.

Splicing is very fun. I've found that a stiff piece of wire folded in two works great for splicing. you can feed it through where you want the "bury" and stick the standing end of the amsteel through (hook it in the fold) and pull it back through pretty easily. helps if you thin the end some and maybe mash down on the fold with the cord inside with pliers.

Have fun making whoopie slings. Lemme know if you have questions. BTW if you're in Knoxville, the West Marine near west town mall had a spool of Amsteel that they sell by the foot. It's usually a mail order thing.

--Matt
Old 11-20-2011, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmike View Post
I am considering the purchase and use of a hammock for backcountry camping. I have noticed a few posts with some pics of hammocks and wondered if those who do or have used one could offer any insights or suggestions?

Mike
If you want to see all sorts of impartial comments and reviews of hammocks, I'd check out www.hammockforums.net. It is pretty much THE source for hammock information.

If you want to avoid potentially spending tons of money on something you may not like, my first bit of advice would be to get a cheap camping hammock and try napping in it. If that does not work for you, don't bother trying anything else. If you weigh under 240 lbs or so, you might try a Grand Trunk UL which go for about 20 bucks and can be found on line or at River Sports in Knoxville. The Grand Trunk UL is by no means the best hammock, but it is quite serviceable. A hint to a more comfortable lay in the hammock is to put yourself at a slight diagonal from center. This will help avoid "banana back" and allow you to remain more flat. Finding the best ways to stay warm and/or dry is the next challenge after you've determined that a hammock might work for you. In that area, I highly recommend the content on the hammock forum as it covers various means of top insulation, bottom insulation and weather protection.

I moved over to hammocks about six years ago and have not looked back. I can hike in to a nice stream now and know that I will get an actual restful night's sleep without tossing and turning on a pad or having to find a flat spot that is not too wet and does not have rocks or roots. Hammock camping can be as cheap or expensive as you want it to be, just like fishing. While I do own more hammocks than I care to admit, my "go to" hammock is a DIY one that I made from $1.50/yd ripstop fabric that I picked up at a WalMart bargain bin.

I hope that helps. Feel free to send me a message and/or check out the hammock forum....

Walter
Old 11-20-2011, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crockett View Post
You know a guy has been gettin into hammocks if he knows who Shug is lol...
EVERYONE knows Shug! While he hangs his hat in MN, he and Hickery meet up every Spring in Linville Gorge for a solid week of hammock camping. I was lucky enough to spend a few days with him down in the Gorge last Spring. He's not big on fishing, but definitely an entertaining source for hammock info.
Old 11-20-2011, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spotlight View Post
This is a Appalachian Trail hikers site check their posts in the hammock forums there is a wealth of information to be had. I use a bottom entry hennessy ultralight assym....weighs 2lbs but in the cooler months I use what they call a pea pod for a under quilt it's made by jacks or better.

There is a learning curve to hammocks, how to sleep in them, finding the right trees etc, it's all part of the fun. As someone mentioned earlier the Jaybird Warbonnet is a pretty awesome hammock.

Check out this site

www.whiteblaze.net
I believe that the Warbonnetoutdoors.com is a Blackbird, and the peapod is by Speer Hammocks. JacksRBetter.com makes the Nest along with the Mount Washington underquilts. They are all excellent cottage industries.
Old 11-26-2011, 10:00 PM

Default Thanks again...

for all of the links, insights, and suggestions. I now have two hammocks and have yet to hang the first one due to the business of the holidays. I have managed to purchase some Amsteel and make a set of whoopie slings alomng with an adjustable ridgeline.

By the way I found Grand Trunk hammocks on amazon.com for $14.95 in green, slightly more for other colors.

Mike
"Fly-fishing has many attributes, but none more pleasing than it's ability to liberate the young boy that still hides within me and to let that boy live again without embarrassment or regret, sorrow or anguish." Harry Middleton