Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 11-23-2011, 02:29 AM

Hey MadisonBoats, thanks for laying a ton of history in my lap. That should keep me occupied during the winter. The links are great. Thanks!
Old 11-27-2011, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Casada View Post
Byron--I'd love a category on the history of the Smokies. Obviously I have a deeper interest than many, but I'm comfortable in saying many others would like to know more. One of the neat things about fishing in the Park is that there's history all around you. For example, when fishing lower Luftee you can take short walks of 100-200 yards and visit half a dozen cemeteries (one of them a slave cemetery), hike up Noland a bit and see evidence of a world we have lost at every turn, and wandering through Sugarlands (the real one, not Park headquarters) brings you face to face with evidence of the one-time presence of humans at every turn.
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com

I have been to a family cemetery of my Dad's family several times that is located past the ranger's station above the road on the left as you enter the Park from Cherokee.

I've never been able to find any marked headstones, all are unmarked stones. My grandfather was born in that area and his family lived there, Swain County, and other parts of W. Carolina for many generations.
Old 11-27-2011, 06:00 PM

fishngolf--There are actually three or four cemeteries in the area you describe. Do you happen to know the name of the cemetery? I ask because there may well be a way for you to obtain additional information (if you are interested). There's a wonderful book which, although it has some omissions and other minor problems, you should see. It is The Cemeteries of Swain County and it covers virtually every cemetery in the county, gives all known information of them, lists the graves, tells who is buried in them when this is known, and more.

Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com
Old 11-27-2011, 09:01 PM

Jim,

It is one of the Enloe cemeteries. I would be very interested in obtaining additional info.

Thanks