Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 11-27-2011, 03:56 PM

Default Spawn Questions

Yesterday I hit one of my favorite streams looking for some lake trout run up to spawn. I found plenty! I normally do not see fish well in the streams but I could easily see these large bows all colored up! There were quite a few already paired up on the reds. I watched one location for almost an hour just fascinated by the behaviour. The males were constantly chasing away smaller fish until bigger fish would come in. The female appeared to be feeding but I am not sure if that is what she was doing. I chose not to try to catch these fish and just watch. I did, however, fish the larger runs and hooked a very nice fish that would quickly break me off! I think I panicked and should have let him run a bit but instead tried to land him too fast. I do not get many opportunities at the big ones! As I was fishing a few times a large bow would run up past my feet and swim upstream, seemingly not even noticing me! Very unusual!

Anyway, my question is this. Do the results of these spawns effect the stream? Will these new bows stay in the stream and move up or instinctively head back to the lakes?
Old 11-27-2011, 04:22 PM

Those fish will head back to the lake pretty soon after they finish spawning...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 11-27-2011, 07:40 PM

Most of the streams that will have a run of lake runs won't hold them very long. Although if if they have arun of bows in the fall it will usually have a run in the spring also.
Fish the water that don't hold reds and hang on. I once caught a 20'' bow and a 20'' brown in the same day.Although from different water sheds it was a good day.
Lynn
Old 11-28-2011, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
Yesterday I hit one of my favorite streams looking for some lake trout run up to spawn. I found plenty! I normally do not see fish well in the streams but I could easily see these large bows all colored up! There were quite a few already paired up on the reds. I watched one location for almost an hour just fascinated by the behaviour. The males were constantly chasing away smaller fish until bigger fish would come in. The female appeared to be feeding but I am not sure if that is what she was doing. I chose not to try to catch these fish and just watch. I did, however, fish the larger runs and hooked a very nice fish that would quickly break me off! I think I panicked and should have let him run a bit but instead tried to land him too fast. I do not get many opportunities at the big ones! As I was fishing a few times a large bow would run up past my feet and swim upstream, seemingly not even noticing me! Very unusual!

Anyway, my question is this. Do the results of these spawns effect the stream? Will these new bows stay in the stream and move up or instinctively head back to the lakes?
You were fishing for lake trout or were they rainbows? Interesting spawning behavior. I was under the assumption that lake trout do not make Redds(?). However; I have never caught a lake trout; but, I have read many great books about how ferocious they can get when they are feeding on top of the water in the fall/winter.

Shaggy; I thank you for posting this report as this topic is something I would like to learn more about.
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 12-05-2011, 10:16 PM

Madison, I believe that he is talking about lake run rainbows not actual lake trout or "lakers". A lot of people around here call them lake trout and most that fish Chilhowee, Calderwood, Cheoah, Fontana and Tellico to some extent understand what they mean and really are. They actually favor steel heads in my opinion. I caught several "lakers" this summer over 5 lb (not on a fly rod tho) and there are MUCH bigger fish than that. I personally lost a "laker" once while fishing with a friend that I would place money on was over 32 inchs long. It was a monster.

As for the fry they must return to the lake because I rarely see small finger links on any of these feeder creeks near where they enter the lake.
Old 12-06-2011, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishNHunt View Post
Madison, I believe that he is talking about lake run rainbows not actual lake trout or "lakers". A lot of people around here call them lake trout and most that fish Chilhowee, Calderwood, Cheoah, Fontana and Tellico to some extent understand what they mean and really are. They actually favor steel heads in my opinion. I caught several "lakers" this summer over 5 lb (not on a fly rod tho) and there are MUCH bigger fish than that. I personally lost a "laker" once while fishing with a friend that I would place money on was over 32 inchs long. It was a monster.

As for the fry they must return to the lake because I rarely see small finger links on any of these feeder creeks near where they enter the lake.
Thank you so much for replying and adding detail to my post. I have never caught a lake trout and never fished for one. I hope to get up that way and give it a shot some time. I bet there are some big ones out there and that would be an exciting area to fish.

This type of information is what I enjoy most about posting on The LRO Forum. It is information you would have to consciously pursue to find in static resources and I find it Serendipity through posts such as these...
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 12-07-2011, 12:31 AM

Yes, these were Rainbows from the lake, not lake trout. I was really curious if some of the fry might head upstream. I have caught trout very low on this stream before so I thought maybe a few headed the other way as well. In fact, I have been catching very large numbers of bows on this stream in the past few years, sometimes 4-5 in each run. Of course, this stream does not get much pressure either. It was very fun to just watch them as I do not often see trout that large in such shallow water.

Thanks for all the information!