Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 12-16-2011, 10:11 AM

Default Byron was Right!

I had some time off yesterday so I decided to hit some close-in waters in the Park. The air temp was 65 degrees (!) so I expected good fishing, possibly even a hatch! I fished Tremont for a few hours and despite the warm temps and the visual presence of trout swimming laps in some of the big pools (pretty good sign of activity I thought), I ended up getting shut out. I probably did not get my nymphs deep enough since the current was pretty strong. After that I hit my old reliable West Prong and caught a goodly number of rainbows including one that went 10". I truly love that stretch of water when the flows are high.

Anyway to get to the point of the title of my post, on the way out of the Park I remembered some of Byron's recent fishing reports where he suggested folks try the LR though Townsend since it has been stocked recently with some big trout. The rain was starting to fall but I decided to try a spot where I have had success with a spinning rod in the past. I tied on the only streamer I had with me (a Micky Finn that I keep hooked to my vest mostly as a fashion accessory) and started stripping it across the river. On about the 10th drift I hooked a big fish. I actually thought it was a buffalo or sucker the way it fought (lots of twsting and rolling) but once I got it in I found it to be an 18" stocker bow (with the obligatory nubbed pectoral fins). I gently released her and she swam in 6" of water at my feet for about 5 minutes before deciding to brave the deep water again. Not sure whether it "counts" but that is the biggest trout I have ever caught on a fly rod and it brought out the kid in me while I fought it.

Thanks for the suggestion Byron!
Old 12-16-2011, 12:28 PM

The information contained in the daily fishing report is always very good. It gives you the weather, stream conditions, and good fly suggestions. I don't know how it could get any better. I read it every day whether I'm going fishing or not