Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 12-30-2011, 10:29 AM

Stuff like this is the very reason I have reduced my participation in the past few months. There is less talk about fishing and fly tying and more arguing, name calling, and coddling of sensitive people going on than ever before. We are all adults on here, and we should all act like it.

When I first joined, everybody was always cordial and real fishing stories were shared. There was no need to start an apology or a flaming thread, because nobody said anything that validated such a thread. A few of the original people still remain, but I miss the likes of Mr. Hartsell, the Romer clan, IJSouth, etc. Those guys all knew how to tell entertaining fishing stories with humor laced throughout, and never once proclaimed themselves as Smokies experts. Not only that, but they were genuinely good people who it was a pleasure being around. I look forward to the return of a positive fishing forum, but honestly believe it has been infiltrated by too many who use it as an outlet to vent and read their own words than a place to share knowledge and information of the sport we love.

tjw,
I don't know why you feel the need to withdraw from the forum because the "partner of a man on this forum" shot a bear. Granted it sounds like it was not an ethical hunting practice, but I think you are taking out your frustrations in the wrong forum. That is like me saying that I am going to withdraw from this forum because somebody who knows a member cut line in front of me at Kroger. If you are unable to distiguish between the two and are quick to respond in a negative manner, then maybe this is not the forum for you.

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler
Old 12-30-2011, 11:46 AM

Sorry to see anyone leave...I have never seen any special requirements for membership or posting to this forum other than to be polite. I do not live nearby to the Park but have fished these waters for more than 50 years....I feel that I have acquired some "local" knowledge through my efforts and from following my grandfather up and down the many streams on the Tn. side...how this should limit my input or advice escapes me...while I cannot get up there as often as I would like I enjoy vicariously reading and seeing what others get to experience...hope you have a Happy New Year..
Old 12-30-2011, 07:24 PM

It is hard, if not impossible, to live anywhere or frequent any forum where everyone agrees with you or you agree with them. I don't even agree with my wife all the time. As Paula said, the forum is to exchange ideas and information. If I was to quit every forum where I disagreed with something, I would junk my computer as I wouldn't need it.
As for the bear hunting story, I was certainly pleased that the guide and hunters were turned in to the authorities.
See you somewhere on the water, flinging fur and feathers!
Old 12-31-2011, 04:52 AM

Default T-Rav

Good riddance! Just kidding Travis. I've quit the forum a long time ago but I am thankful of the service Byron and Paula provide. They have a first rate fly shop and website. I too share in your frustration with rambling and "experts" but know first hand that trout still rise, take beadheads, and create memories that will not be forgotten if you don't post on this forum. Good fishing, see you at work, and look forward to fishing with you again.
Old 01-01-2012, 08:45 PM

Default Happy New Years

I guess I can chime in on this too. I used to make several/many fishing trip reports a year, but haven't made a single one since March, when Travis, Jeremy, and I went fishing. The reason I haven't made any is simply, I haven't fished anywhere that I would consider interesting enough to report on. My interests this past year was more on traditional archery and less on fishing. Most evenings, when I would normally be fishing, you could find me at the bow range shooting a longbow. The few times I did fish, it was somewhere roadside or the Clinch, and I took very few pictures.

Another thing to consider is sometimes peoples lives just get in the way. I keep in touch with several forum members who no longer post like they used to, and they aren't posting for the same reason's as I; interests change, divorce (not me), new jobs, lost job, new kids etc.

As for the shooting of the bear, I'm pretty sure you wouldn't be talking about me. One of my hunting buddies did kill a 400 pound bear just outside Townsend this past October, but it was a male. However, its "thing" was so small, someone unknowing might have thought it was a female. (When I die, I hope I don't come back as a bear)

I also prefer to refer to them as buddies and not partners.

* Edit * I almost forgot, I also had an injury in April that kept me from trying to balance myself on greased bowling balls for about 3 months.

Last edited by buzzmcmanus; 01-01-2012 at 09:34 PM..