Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 12-30-2011, 12:03 PM

Default floating the Clinch on 2

So I have been tying a lot of streamers over the past few days. I got a sinking line for Christmas and I'm wanting to float the Clinch and try out these new goodies. I have floated a lot on one with much luck but I haven't really floated much on 2 gens. Now I know droping anchor is pretty much out of the question. Now would you guys beat the banks and fish the log jams an such? Or would it be better to just cast blind? I'm thinking with all the high water these fish will be held in tight to cover. Your guys thoughts on this? Also what are your go to streamers? I have buggers ,bunnies, slump busters, is there anything I'm missing? Any info would be great to incress my chances this cabin fever is getting to me in a bad kind of way.
Thanks
Rod
Old 12-30-2011, 02:00 PM

deleted...

Last edited by Troutman; 01-06-2012 at 11:56 AM..
Old 12-30-2011, 05:07 PM

Rod,
I have floated on two-generators several times and it is a tough time catching fish. Most of my like came on working the bank on the inside of each river bend.
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 01-01-2012, 10:26 AM

Well, while I haven't tried "Montreal Whore" streamer flies on the Clinch they have always been my "go to" streamer for browns in Maine in size 2.

I also tie something I call an "Epoxy Bunny" that is awesome on large predatory trout... if you want I'll send one of each to you, send me an e-mail richardcorbettjr@yahoo.com or call me. perhaps I could send them to Shawn (who is good a posting pics on the forum and he could show them to you all.

Richard
Old 01-01-2012, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbo View Post
Well, while I haven't tried "Montreal Whore" streamer flies on the Clinch they have always been my "go to" streamer for browns in Maine in size 2.

I also tie something I call an "Epoxy Bunny" that is awesome on large predatory trout... if you want I'll send one of each to you, send me an e-mail richardcorbettjr@yahoo.com or call me. perhaps I could send them to Shawn (who is good a posting pics on the forum and he could show them to you all.

Richard
Richard,
Anytime my friend...My email is shawn.madison@comcast.net if you want to email them to me and have me post. Fishing the Clinch at high flow is tough to get anything down deep or to present. Well; it has been for me.

Old 01-01-2012, 12:14 PM

I would like to see them as well. We floated yesterday and I can say I'm now hooked on fishing streamers on high water. Be looking for a report soon, my buddy wilson took the pictures and was going to post the report. What a fun way to end the year. Happy New Year to all of you guys. May 2012 bring a lot of great fishing trips to you all.
Old 01-01-2012, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodonthefly View Post
I would like to see them as well. We floated yesterday and I can say I'm now hooked on fishing streamers on high water. Be looking for a report soon, my buddy wilson took the pictures and was going to post the report. What a fun way to end the year. Happy New Year to all of you guys. May 2012 bring a lot of great fishing trips to you all.
Awesome Rod! I need to get some pointers from you on fishing the high water. Glad you had a fun day...

Old 01-02-2012, 07:48 PM

Years ago I had this "sink tip" gizmo that I could attach to the end of my floating fly line by "loop to loop" and then use a short leader... it sank like a rock and I used it mostly for fishing American Shad on the Connecticut river. Wish I remembered what it was called.

On another note..... I had to sell both my jey boats since I moved here but still have 16 foot Fisher aluminum with 35 HP outboard.... Is this too much boat for the Peach Orchard?
Old 01-02-2012, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbo View Post
On another note..... I had to sell both my jey boats since I moved here but still have 16 foot Fisher aluminum with 35 HP outboard.... Is this too much boat for the Peach Orchard?
Richard,
That is not too much for the Clinch on one-generation after the river has equalized from a rise. There are 2-3 areas you would have to trim the motor, but, I could help you with that information. The best application for utilizing this setup would be to launch at the 61 Bridge and go up stream and drift down-Repeat!

Old 01-04-2012, 12:18 AM

Report:

I apologize for the delay. We had a fun day and it was great to get out on the water. It was just enough to get a fix. We floated from millers to 61 bridge and only saw a couple jon boats. The weather was beautiful but the wind was strong at times. The fishing was decent and was about what we expected. Hooked up a few times and got a couple to the boat. Here's Rod with the largest fish of the day.

The day ended kinda "crappy" as you can tell from the picture below. As we were coming into the take out at 61 bridge Rod got a pleasant surprise which landed right on his Simms hat.

We are both glad we took the trip. We probably could have hit some other nearby waters and caught more fish, but it sure was good to be on the Clinch...and we're gonna do it again real soon!

My Blog: Fly Fish East Tennessee
www.flyfisheasttennessee.blogspot.com

><>