Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fisheries Management & Biology

Old 11-21-2011, 01:34 PM

Default Clinch River Otter Trapping

Hey all,

Just thought I would share a little news with you. My younger brother has been working the Clinch pretty heavily lately. He and a friend have caught a decent number from around Peach Orchard, with one pushing 25 lbs. Imagine how much trout a 25 lb otter could consume. Even if the otter's diet isn't 100% trout, he surely is consuming some fraction of trout. Now, imagine that there are six or eight 25 lb otters working the peach orchard area alone. That is a lot of trout consumed.

I recently pointed him in the direction of a sizeable family I saw a couple months back further downstream in hopes that maybe he can thin them out a little as well. If any Clinch fisherman would like to share the location(s) of some recent encounters I can pass it along to him and maybe help the fishery out some in the process.

Thanks!

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler
Old 12-07-2011, 09:30 PM

Thumbs up

Thinning out the herd a little helps keep things in balance for sure, tell your brother thanks. I'm just jealous that I don't have the time to chase them nowadays.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:20 AM

I was fishing at Miller's Island a couple of months ago and saw 3. They were upstream of the island (the tail end of that big pool) on the far bank and in that area. Across from the parking area. Good luck thinning the herd. They're cute but they eat too much trout. Could he thin the herd of poaching spinfishermen too?
Old 12-08-2011, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mundele View Post
I was fishing at Miller's Island a couple of months ago and saw 3. They were upstream of the island (the tail end of that big pool) on the far bank and in that area. Across from the parking area. Good luck thinning the herd. They're cute but they eat too much trout. Could he thin the herd of poaching spinfishermen too?
Sounds like several great ideas!

Bill
Old 12-19-2011, 12:56 PM

Travis,

I will also add that I've seen them in around Miller island. That's the direction I would point your brother.

Thanks!

My Blog: Fly Fish East Tennessee
www.flyfisheasttennessee.blogspot.com

><>

Last edited by Wilson10; 12-19-2011 at 12:56 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 01-05-2012, 04:58 PM

Hey Travis could find out the best tactics or best way to trap an otter. My father has one in his pond and it's reeking havoc. It only comes up out of the creek in the winter time. I know it's been a while since this topic has been active,but any info would be helpful. The pond is full of bib-big bluegills and it's been killing mostly catfish now. So he wants to take care of it before it moves on to the bluegills.
Lynn
Old 01-05-2012, 09:52 PM

Lynn, you can contact me at SHANNDEER@aol.com for a little info on the trapping if need be. Just thought I would offer.
Old 01-06-2012, 03:21 PM

Thanks Knik, I will.
Lynn