Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 01-06-2012, 11:58 PM

Default Jan 6th Fishing Report

Hey All,

I think it is about time for another fishing report posted on here. It was a crazy fall and early winter with us having a baby girl, buying a house, moving in, and then the holidays. All of this has prevented me from getting on the water. I believe I have fished two times since the first of August.

Now, it isn't unusual for my wife to make plans on a Friday afternoon, and tell me that I am free for the day to do whatever I want. However, it is unusual that those days happen to coincide with decent weather. So, imagine my excitement when I saw the forecast for today.

I couldn't get out of the office fast enough today, and blaze a trail to Townsend and LRO. Not only was I excited about wetting a line, but I also wanted to break in some new Patagonia clothing I recently got. So, this was a multi-purpose trip.

To the fishing:
I arrived at the river and geared up around 2:00. Air temp was around 50 degrees, and the sun was still shining down on the water. Didn't get a water temp because my digital thermo was dead, maybe I should switch back to low tech. Anyway, my plan was to dredge the deep runs and pools for the large browns using mondo sized stonefly patterns. Water levels were very nice, but cold and clear. Not the best conditions for finding big browns. Thankfully, I did locate a few piggies, but apparently my stonefly was not the gourmet meal they were looking for. After hitting a few different locations and identifying some size-able browns without much success, I chose to change plans and try to just catch some fish.

I moved to another spot that has worked this time of the year and tied on a double zebra midge rig. I bounced the rig along bottom and before long found what the fish were looking for. Surprisingly, the fish were keyed in on a pink zebra midge, and I was willing to supply their needs. Once I felt like I had overstayed my welcome at this particular spot I moved on, but did not have much luck elsewhere. By this point, it was 5:00 and the temperature had dropped back down to 42 degrees, and the sun was well behind the mountains. A light breeze also had started swirling up the river valley. So, I chose to call it a day, and make the drive back to Knoxville. While I was driving through Maryville around 5:45, it was still 58 degrees and there was a beautiful sunset.

I did not see another fisherman all afternoon. Furthermore, the typical tourist hotspots were vacant on this amazing afternoon. What a wonderful day to get out, and I am anxiously awaiting my next opportunity to tempt those wonderful brown trout I spotted today. I also made a huge mistake today by forgetting my camera at home, I haven't done that in years. I will try not to let it happen again anytime soon.

I hope everyone has a wonderful New Year. Full of health, happiness, prosperity, and lots of fish.

Tight Lines and God Bless

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler
Old 01-07-2012, 09:22 AM

Smile What's a fishing report?

Just kidding, thanks for posting.

The weather has been great lately for paddling, and after looking at your report should most likely be taking my rod with me also. Glad you made the most of your day, and thanks for sharing.

As for your comment about the park being so empty, my paddling buddy was saying just last week how in the Winter the paddler'ss feel like they have the park to themselves. You really get used to the lack of people, and are able to get where you need to go in a heartbeat. Then Spring comes and the tourons re-appear, and you realize just how good you had it.

Get it while you can
Old 01-07-2012, 08:55 PM

Glad to hear you got out. Big Popper and I hit the Elk today and caught a few stockers...wish I lived near the mountains
Old 01-08-2012, 12:02 AM

Travis, great to see a fishing report on here! Hope to get up to the Park in the next 2-3 weeks and maybe catch a few myself...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 01-08-2012, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRaiderFan View Post
Glad to hear you got out. Big Popper and I hit the Elk today and caught a few stockers...wish I lived near the mountains
I was at the Elk today......wonder if we crossed paths?
Old 01-08-2012, 04:29 AM

Maybe. I wasn't at any of the public access areas.