Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 01-09-2012, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Knapp View Post
Have you fished Abrams? Its the only Park stream with a bottom as treacherous as the HI. Of course it has those big ledges also that have terrible angles...between those two streams I have probably fallen more than any other place...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knothead View Post
David K., thanks for the info. I would like to fish Abrams this spring, especially the Horseshoe. Heard a lot of good things about it.
That area is the slickest and most dangerous waters I have ever fished. I laughed at my brother slipping and going completely under and I took a spill right after ward. The times I have fished the horseshoe; it gave me fits catching fish as well.
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 01-10-2012, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Knapp View Post
Rod, this time of year can be tough in the Park. Give it a shot again once better hatches start and you will probably enjoy it more. If you ever want to give it another shot and want some company let me know. I hate to think that your Park experience is bad and would be glad to show you some spots and hopefully a good time...
David, We had a good time. We're just suffering from lack of water time depression. We got up there and we did expect the fishing to be slightly better, but it was fairly slow and started raining.

Here's a couple pictures I took with my phone prior to the rain starting.

My Blog: Fly Fish East Tennessee
www.flyfisheasttennessee.blogspot.com

><>
Old 01-11-2012, 10:42 AM

I am now older than I like to admit....have fished the Tn. side of the Park for 50 years...I used to literally run up and down these streams while fishing with little thought of potential damage to my body...I still love to fish these streams but I guess sensibility comes with experience(old age)...there are places I won't fish just because of the depth of the water or the distance between landing places...if I am not carrying a man-made staff I will find one before wading across certain places...I keep finding my self looking at a jump up, down or across that in my youth there would be no hesitation...but...there are plenty of places along all the streams that I fish where access from the bank is available and good water is fishable....I have never possessed waders and have always wet waded so when the weather is too cool I have oftern fished the banks without the need for rock hopping.
Old 01-11-2012, 04:44 PM

Rog 1, we are all getting a bit older. Can't jump like we used to. When I first started trout fishing, I made a staff out of conduit, crutch tip and a bike handle grip. Later, sprung for a folding one and holster. I never fish without it. It's saved me from many a spill.
I'll remember the previous comments on Abrams Creek and the Horseshoe.