Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 01-12-2012, 08:03 AM
waterwolf waterwolf is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,104
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson10 View Post
I thought ya'll were Tigers?!?

Sorry, couldn't resist
We are a multitude of critters, depends on the day
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-12-2012, 08:34 AM
MadisonBoats's Avatar
MadisonBoats MadisonBoats is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Norris, TN
Posts: 1,779
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterwolf View Post
Haha, I wouldn't waste one nickel in that sewer water.

Nothing worse IMO then fresh stockers, crowds, and trash littered stream banks.

Save your money and dip into the park, fish Bradley's Fork or the Oconoluftee. You will be happier, trust me.
Have you fished the Clinch in the past 20 years? Coal Creek seems to be Briceville's septic system. Plus; the hind's creek and the industrial park have all kinds of dumps in the river. After the 61 bridge; I notice an insane drop off of benthic and fish quality.
__________________
-Shawn Madison
[Madison Boats]
FB https://www.facebook.com/ClinchRiverTN
YTB http://www.youtube.com/user/MadisonBoats?feature=mhee
_______________________________
“Every human has four endowments- self awareness, conscience, independent will, & creative imagination.
These give us the ultimate human freedom... The
power
to choose, to respond, to change.”


Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-13-2012, 12:24 AM
waterwolf waterwolf is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,104
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadisonBoats View Post
Have you fished the Clinch in the past 20 years? Coal Creek seems to be Briceville's septic system. Plus; the hind's creek and the industrial park have all kinds of dumps in the river. After the 61 bridge; I notice an insane drop off of benthic and fish quality.
I think I have fished the Clinch once in the last 20 years, but I could be wrong.

Coal creek is a piss trickle which comes into the river most days, you are talking about 1/10 the flow coming out of that creek if that. It certainly isn't the whole river like the Cherokee streams.

What could possibly pollute Hind's Creek? A few cows? Hinds Creek doesn't flow through anything except for cow pastures and woods. Don't understand this example.

The fish quality is outstanding below 61 bridge, and the benthic life takes a major hit from water depth which correlates to no weed growth which is vital to the limited species that inhabit the Clinch. Nothing related to run off or pollution is affecting the lower Clinch tailwater. The problem is the fish population is low (stripers/muskie) and poor habitat are the reasons, not water quality.

Sewage, pollution, industrial discharge, etc etc does not mean a reduction in benthic life or fish health. For example the Holston above Rogersville is seriously impacted by Kingsport and the Eastman plant, however it has huge hatches and a very healthy fish population. The Pigeon River which is still horribly polluted has monster insect hatches and unbelievable fish health. I could go on and on and on with examples.

The nastiness of Cherokee is more of an aesthetic nasty then anything else. The fish are straight out of the truck stockers which have little redeeming qualities other then they are a trout, and good for passing a little time.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-13-2012, 08:08 AM
MadisonBoats's Avatar
MadisonBoats MadisonBoats is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Norris, TN
Posts: 1,779
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterwolf View Post
Coal creek is a piss trickle which comes into the river most days, you are talking about 1/10 the flow coming out of that creek if that. It certainly isn't the whole river like the Cherokee streams.
True, but the quality of the flow out-ways the amount. One drop of oil can pollute gallons of water. Plus, the amount of debris the continually comes out of there is amazing.
Quote:
What could possibly pollute Hind's Creek? A few cows? Hinds Creek doesn't flow through anything except for cow pastures and woods. Don't understand this example.
Several of the factories in the new I-75 Industrial Park have been sited by the EPA for letting high levels of heavy metals get in to the sewer system and runoff. It gets all the runoff from the garbage dump and Clinton Exit. And; yes run off from livestock can cause problems; but, I believe that is a dying bunch with all the development.
Quote:
The fish quality is outstanding below 61 bridge, and the benthic life takes a major hit from water depth which correlates to no weed growth which is vital to the limited species that inhabit the Clinch. Nothing related to run off or pollution is affecting the lower Clinch tailwater. The problem is the fish population is low (stripers/muskie) and poor habitat are the reasons, not water quality.
I agree that the drastic water depth change changes the dynamic. Also; I do think the stripers have a huge affect in that region. Not sure about the muskies; as I have not seen any that far up yet. I know they are thick at the steam plant. I do notice all the factory discharge areas in the Clinch with their EPA Notices. I looked up some of the numbers on the internet and the chemical makeup was very alarming-even though most samples were within their permit levels. Also; the City of Clinton's sewer system overflows/leaches in the Clinch all the time. I can attest to that living along the river and seeing feminine products overflowing in to the streets and yards.
Quote:
Sewage, pollution, industrial discharge, etc etc does not mean a reduction in benthic life or fish health. For example the Holston above Rogersville is seriously impacted by Kingsport and the Eastman plant, however it has huge hatches and a very healthy fish population. The Pigeon River which is still horribly polluted has monster insect hatches and unbelievable fish health. I could go on and on and on with examples.

The nastiness of Cherokee is more of an aesthetic nasty then anything else. The fish are straight out of the truck stockers which have little redeeming qualities other then they are a trout, and good for passing a little time.
I was not trying to insult you; I was just trying to use this point to help illustrate that this is a huge issue for all of us and we need to work together to combat it to protect our natural resources. Anderson County and Clinton is willing to sell its soul to get some/any business. I believe we have to be careful and maintain our codes enforcement, EPA Reviews, Etc. A large coal plant was closed in Devonia-Briceville last week for dumping high levels of runoff in to the streams. We all need to think about this stuff and to speak our minds.

Sorry to side track the topic!
__________________
-Shawn Madison
[Madison Boats]
FB https://www.facebook.com/ClinchRiverTN
YTB http://www.youtube.com/user/MadisonBoats?feature=mhee
_______________________________
“Every human has four endowments- self awareness, conscience, independent will, & creative imagination.
These give us the ultimate human freedom... The
power
to choose, to respond, to change.”


Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-13-2012, 01:24 PM
AL trout bum's Avatar
AL trout bum AL trout bum is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Madison, AL
Posts: 200
Default

Back on topic....

So has anyone fished up there? Even in the park on that side? I would appreciate any help.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 01-13-2012, 05:13 PM
nunavut4 nunavut4 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 45
Default

I have fished there a few times over the last two years. Pink San Juan and trail a peach Egg to start with. Then try a black or brown stone fly trailed off of the worm. Black Wooly buggers with a pheasant tail or black wetfly trailed off. Now if you see one of those golden trout you can keep sane and ignore it or toss really bright buggers at it, orange, pink etc.
One of the few perks of fishing there nature wise is that you may see some of the Elk that live over there. Hope you have a good time with your friends.
Mark
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 01-13-2012, 05:32 PM
AL trout bum's Avatar
AL trout bum AL trout bum is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Madison, AL
Posts: 200
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunavut4 View Post
I have fished there a few times over the last two years. Pink San Juan and trail a peach Egg to start with. Then try a black or brown stone fly trailed off of the worm. Black Wooly buggers with a pheasant tail or black wetfly trailed off. Now if you see one of those golden trout you can keep sane and ignore it or toss really bright buggers at it, orange, pink etc.
One of the few perks of fishing there nature wise is that you may see some of the Elk that live over there. Hope you have a good time with your friends.
Mark
Thanks Mark. I am not totally sold on the trophy waters yet. I might spend my time on deep creek, bradley fork and possibly the Tuck DH. We'll see. What size stones? Could I get away with sz14-16, or is it a must to go smaller?
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 01-13-2012, 05:47 PM
nunavut4 nunavut4 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 45
Default

I have used a size 12 or 14 Stone fly the most. While I prefer to fish the park or a Smallie river, it is a lot of fun to hit pay water for big pellet feed pigs trout once in a while.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 01-14-2012, 12:02 AM
waterwolf waterwolf is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,104
Default

Rather then clog this thing up with pollution jargain, let's start another topic if we want to get into that. I agree with Madison on that, we got to hijacking really bad.

Another fly I forgot about that is deadly on stockers is a hot pink hare's ear with a gold bead. When I say hot pink, I mean hot freaking pink. Before you laugh find some or tie some and try them, trust me they work and work well. Usually a 14 is fine, but sometimes a 12 is even better.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 01-15-2012, 05:05 PM
RuningWolf's Avatar
RuningWolf RuningWolf is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 147
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL trout bum View Post
Back on topic....

So has anyone fished up there? Even in the park on that side? I would appreciate any help.
I have fished there a few times in the past. There is some nice water up river from town near the parks visitor center (If memory serves me correctly). There are some deep holes that required weighted nymphs.

There are also lots of areas where you can get away from the road. A word of caution, don’t leave valuables where they can be seen in your vehicle. Despite the casino the people of the Cherokee Nation are relatively poor and money for drug/alcohol abuse runs high
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:46 PM.



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.