Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 01-14-2012, 10:48 AM

Default SOHO last sunday

Been over a year since I fished the SOHO and finally convinced my son we had to go.... the flow was very fishable but the weather was less than favorable though warm enough.

Landed a beautifully colored brown and had a great time spending the day with Rick; he has been a fly fisher since five years old and has an awesome casting stroke.... I love to watch him fish and often found myself just watching him and paying no attention to my own fly.

Didn't see any Sulphurs and only a handfull of the BWO's the local shop claims are coming off.... fish seemed to be gorging just under the film on something I was unable to match.... but caught occasional fish on a small CDC emerger with SLF trailing shuck. Must be those wicked tiny "black flies" but they wouldn't even touch small griffith knats or zebra midges... FRUSTRATING!

Was fishing a 2 weight so hurling large stuff was not possible; think I ought to go on the prowl with big streamers or buggers when I encounter these conditions.... next time I will be prepared.

Anyone got a solution to the black fly problem that actually works?

Meanwhile it seems this weekend has no favorable wading conditions on local tailwaters..... AGAIN.

If I was the boss at TVA weekend flows would be wade fisherman friendly every weekend.... I'm too old and broken down to go rock hopping in the Park.
Old 01-14-2012, 12:10 PM

4mm long2mm wide black thread body shape like a bowling pin small tuff of white CDC. Or midge stretch tubing in dark olive over olive dun thread.black tung bead.
Old 01-14-2012, 03:03 PM

same idea as billyspey but these have worked well size 22-24 in both color phases.

Old 01-14-2012, 06:48 PM

I like those great tye.
Old 01-15-2012, 09:50 AM

Thanks;

Looks like I need smaller hooks, beads, tubing etc. Oh and more powerful eye glasses too!
Old 01-15-2012, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbo View Post
Thanks;

Looks like I need smaller hooks, beads, tubing etc. Oh and more powerful eye glasses too!
I know what you mean for me ,contact,reading glasses plus a 4 X magnifier. For tying anything below size 16
Old 01-15-2012, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbo View Post
Thanks;

Corbo,

I have moved to Greeneville, TN. I'll be fishing the SOHO more often since I cut my distance in half. Shoot me an email if you and Rick want some company on a trip to the SOHO. I don't participate on the forum anymore, so just drop me an email.

pineman19@yahoo.com

Neal