Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 10-28-2011, 02:17 PM

Shawn,

I mainly fish the Clinch between the end of Miller's and Massengill Bridge. I haven't caught many browns in the last year of fishing that area, only a few in fact, where the previous year caught maybe 1 brown for every 3-4 rainbows. My last trip, 3 weeks ago, I caught some fresh stocker brook trout, scrawny and not very colorful. I imagine they have started to look better now, but I wish they would stock more browns in place of the brook trout. Browns seem to be a much better fit for the Clinch in my limited time of fishing the river.

Neal
Old 10-29-2011, 07:56 AM

One good thing about the brookies that if they take hold, the Clinch will have more options for dry flies. They seem more apt to take a dry midge, than say the RB's or browns. We'll see if they keep up this trend as they grow larger. I hope so, it will make the Grinch more kid and newbie friendly.
Lynn
Old 10-29-2011, 10:01 AM

Brook trout have been riding the short bus for thousands of years. Anything bright, and especially orange will take them as far as nymphs/streamers, but they readily will hit a dry. However, I do enjoy catching them in tailwaters.
Old 10-31-2011, 10:10 AM

I gave the lower Clinch (Church) a half-hearted attempt on Friday in the rain and didn't get but one bite. I probably only casted for an hour or so until the wisdom of old age convinced me that heading for warmer environments was a good idea. There was a time where I would have casted for hours in any weather conditions out of pride but those were the days when a cold only lasted 12 hours. Now that they last a week to get over I am a bit more judicious about the days I am willing to stand in cold water in a cold and windy rain...

Thanks for the advice and reports regardless. This weekend I am heading up to the SoHo and I will report those (hopefully better) results next week.
Old 01-15-2012, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadisonBoats View Post
Neal,
I did not think you were condescending me. I just wanted to clarify to others that may not know my personality that well. Thank you for your kind response and I did not think you owed one...

I like your strategy; it is stealthy and selective. Nice for trout fishing as well...

Blessings bud...

I have seen striper almost every trip that I have drifted. Also; see tons of carp and some large ones at that....However; I have never hooked one. I am sure that would be a huge fight and a task to land.

One thing to note after reviewing hours of underwater videos. It seems to me (based on sample observation of videos):

• More striped bass are moving upstream and populating the lower 1/3 tailwater and holding over during non generation.
  • More warm-water fish (spotted bass/gar/bluegill) are being noted in the upper tailwater. (I have several of them on my current YouTube Videos) Also; I caught my first small spotted bass at Miller's Island a month ago...
  • Less intermingling of trout type in the lower 1/3 of the tailwater. Compared to the upper tailwater.
  • Brook Trout are noted in 80% of the upper tailwater video and about 20% in the lower tailwater video.
  • Medium to Larger (14-16") Rainbow Trout seem avg in the lower 1/3 of the tailwater.
  • Brown trout are becoming less prevalent on all parts of the river. I wish TWRA would institute a non-harvest on them for a year or two.
  • Fish from Peach Orchard down seem to be more edgy and generally do not reset as quickly in a feeding lie as they do in the upper 1/3 of the tailwater. (My brother caught a 19" spotted bass at P.O. this summer)
  • Many fish in the upper 1/3 of the tailwater have broken line/tippet trailing in their mouth. (we need to work on our tippet knots and fish landing techniques)
I have been organizing my videos and I plan on adding several new ones in the next week or so to my YouTube Channel [link in my signature].

I hope this information is interesting to some and that others may add their own observations so that I can digest them as well.
One of the problems we noticed over the past few years is the river level is staying higher longer on the lower river. How does this add to what you’ve noticed would be only speculation
The higher levels are due to TVA running more water during generating times due to the increased efficiency of the generators at higher flow levels as well as increased discharge times for the pulse (They use to run for around 45 minutes now they run around 1 ˝ hours), the weekend flow rate is also causing higher levels on the lower end (You use o could wade there all day, even with the pulse-no more)
Add in the change in the level of Norris is kept higher in winter months due to several factors and the entire average yearly environment of the river is changed
(Note I have hooked into a few muskies just up river of the Hwy 61 bridge fishing streamers, but I have never landed one)
Old 01-15-2012, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuningWolf View Post
One of the problems we noticed over the past few years is the river level is staying higher longer on the lower river. How does this add to what you’ve noticed would be only speculation
The higher levels are due to TVA running more water during generating times due to the increased efficiency of the generators at higher flow levels as well as increased discharge times for the pulse (They use to run for around 45 minutes now they run around 1 ˝ hours), the weekend flow rate is also causing higher levels on the lower end (You use o could wade there all day, even with the pulse-no more)
Add in the change in the level of Norris is kept higher in winter months due to several factors and the entire average yearly environment of the river is changed
(Note I have hooked into a few muskies just up river of the Hwy 61 bridge fishing streamers, but I have never landed one)
The recent changes (past ~5yrs) in TVA's release patterns will be interesting to see how it affects the Clinch. I am not experienced enough with the lower end of the tail-water to elaborate on any of the noticeable changes. Hopefully, we can all work together to share information on this forum and others to help protect and promote our sport. I appreciate you taking the time to give your input and information.

I cannot imagine catching a muskie on a fly rod. That would be a 'bucket list' experience for sure!
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 01-15-2012, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadisonBoats View Post
The recent changes (past ~5yrs) in TVA's release patterns will be interesting to see how it affects the Clinch. I am not experienced enough with the lower end of the tail-water to elaborate on any of the noticeable changes. Hopefully, we can all work together to share information on this forum and others to help protect and promote our sport. I appreciate you taking the time to give your input and information.

I cannot imagine catching a muskie on a fly rod. That would be a 'bucket list' experience for sure!
I've fished it for about 50 years. There has been lots of changes, some good some not so good

Landing a muskie of a fly rod would be an experience. Taking the fly out would be one as well.

We have moved so I won't be fishing the Clinch as much, but there are a ton of small streams around here I look forward to finding out what is in them

I do enjoy your underwater pics.