Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Old 01-14-2012, 11:31 PM

Default Bwca

Heading for my first trip to the Boundary Waters May 30-June 9. This will be my first trip there but the guys I am going with have been several times. Looking for fly pattern recommendations for smallmouth, walleye etc. The guys I am going with do not fly fish, so they are not much help! Planning on several Clouser style flies but anybody got any other choices?
Old 01-15-2012, 03:34 PM

Leech and minnow patterns for walleye. Possible mayflies hatching, although I think you're early, but still bring some of those styled flies.

Add some top water for smallmouth and fish them early and late.

Add a bite tippet, as you will encounter pike. Throw some pike flies (and you might catch some bruiser smallmouth as bycatch)
Old 01-15-2012, 08:02 PM

I have had luck with wooly buggers. Which is mainly what I fished because I knew how to tie them .
Do you now what entry point you are using ?
Old 01-15-2012, 10:24 PM

Man, I'm really jealous! A few years ago I did a trip up there with some friends, flying into Quetico and paddling back out through the Boundary Waters. It was super hot (late July/early August) when we went and the fishing was slow but did catch my first pike (plus a couple more) and some nice smallies. Did not have heavy enough fly tackle at that point and just used spinning gear. It is definitely a trip I would love to do again someday. I'll be looking forward to seeing your report...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 01-16-2012, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muskrat View Post
I have had luck with wooly buggers. Which is mainly what I fished because I knew how to tie them .
Do you now what entry point you are using ?
According to my friend who is organizing everything, we are putting in at Bearskin Lake above Hungry Jack Lake. From there we portage to Duncan and then from Duncan portage into Rose. According to him if we start out around 8 am we will be at camp on Rose by noon and be fishing shortly thereafter once we set up and eat lunch.
Old 01-16-2012, 10:02 AM

Have made 2 trips there with entry from Gunflint trail. Take some leech patterns** big ones, leeches they use up there acn be 2-3" long and fat.
also some craw dad patterns. fish downed trees along shore lines and you will see lots of ledges as water is so clear. good luck wish I was going again it's a fantastic area will always be on my mind. don't forget the DEET you will need it.
Fishhead
Old 01-16-2012, 12:11 PM

Everybody is talking about leeches, do you guys have a pattern that you lie best? I have never tied or fished any leech patterns and would like some recommendations. Keep in mind I am a mediocre tyer at best.
Old 01-16-2012, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ky Tim View Post
Everybody is talking about leeches, do you guys have a pattern that you lie best? I have never tied or fished any leech patterns and would like some recommendations. Keep in mind I am a mediocre tyer at best.
I'm a big fan of the Simi Seal Leech although it probably is not normally tied quite that large. However it is probably one of the easiest patterns you will ever tie. Here is a link to tying instructions and here is another link to the originator tying the pattern. For larger patterns you might try bunny leeches. Just Google it and you will get plenty of results...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 01-16-2012, 02:49 PM

Thanks David, I will check them out. Also, rod selection. I am thinking of taking a 5 weight, 8 weight and 10 weight. I have a 6 1/2 foot 3 weight I use for small streams and for bluegill fishing. Any reason to pack it along?
Old 01-16-2012, 08:25 PM

Rose is a beautiful lake. I've never paddled it but have seen it from above while on a day trip. I'm not sure about Rose but Duncan has Lake trout which should be reasonably shallow at the time of your trip.
Be sure and make time for a meal at The Trail Center, excellent food.
I would probably take the 5wt and the 8wt. You are going to be throwing large flies,long casts and possibly dealing with wind while casting.
I would not hesitate to use 2 to 3 inch long flies be they leech patterns,clouser minnows or even wooly buggers.
There is a wealth of info at www.bwca.com and very nice and helpful people on the message board.
Are you using an outfittter ? If so which one ?