Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Conservation Organizations and Fly Fishing Clubs

Old 01-21-2011, 05:10 PM

Corbo,

Do the local chapters get the membership fee or is it split between them and national TU? I have tried to deal with TU national before and ran straight into a "piss off you maggot" type of attitude and therefore decided to just let my membership expire next time around. My present chapter is located in the northern part of my state and I live in the southern part. Not much good to me, I can't drive for three hours one way to meetings. I would just as soon move my membership to another active chapter three states away that I could at least visit a couple of times a year and get involved on a planned basis. I am retired and looking to help out!

Whitefeather
Old 02-09-2011, 05:01 PM

Whitefeather

Sorry for delay.... to my knowledge National collects the membership fee and then sends a little coin back to the chapter,,,BUT I MAY BE TOTALLY WRONG.

I don't know what the fee is annually as I did the life membership thing a long time ago.... when I moved to TN I didn't give National TU my new address (perhaps I ought) but now I don't get two letters a week from them begging for money (too many "worthy" projects).

Now that "born with a silver spoon in his mouth and can't get a real job, Charlie Gauvin" has left his post at National TU I hope a non-liberal two faced whacko is not at the helm.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:18 PM

I know for our chapter in Alabama, out of the membersihip fee, 1$ goes to the local chapter.
Old 02-09-2011, 07:04 PM

Wow; a WHOLE DOLLAR! Most of the chapters in New England mail out monthly newsletters; when I wrote the Kennebec Chapter newsletter we mailed out over 300 per month and it cost us a bundle. Most of the time "only 50 or 60" attended the monthly meeting; many of these MYSTERY MEMBERS we never even met but as they paid dues to National we still had to spend a lot on printing and postage.

Sure do hope there are trout for you down in Alabama!
Old 02-10-2011, 11:16 PM

Corbo,

Thanks for the reply! I might stay in TU just for the magazine to learn what I can about various trout species. Don't care for TU leading the charge to ban felts. I didn't sign on to have my hobby turned into a political/economic platform. Still ticked off about that one. A lot of good research put into a dubious agenda if you ask me, after I studied it all. Posted about this in another thread. Just my $.02 worth.

Anyway, I'm thinking about just sending my donations to the Little River chapter if I can get some contact informaton for that chapter. It would give me another good reason to show up in Townsend a couple of times a year to meet some folks in that area and plan ahead to help out if I can.

Anyone else, please email information to: rikwhitefeather@yahoo.com

Thanks again!

-don't tell me why we can't, tell me how we can.- whitefeather
Old 02-11-2011, 09:17 AM

TU National was all over the GLOBAL WARMING THING from the beginning; IMO they look at "threats" to trout as a means to increasing membership.... Last I read "trout" there was a deal about natural gas exploration and drilling in PA and NY. Seems they claim hydro-fracking pollutes trout streams.

IMO TU National is a joke; the real difference members make is locally not nationally and many chapters (including LR) like the Kennebec Chapter (My chaper while I lived in ME are very active environmentally and also provide aquatic education programs in schools.

I am now BURNED OUT ON TU & retired.
Old 01-15-2012, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pineman19 View Post
LUCRO stands for Landowners and Users of the Clinch River Organization. They were very vocal against the slot limits that were imposed on the Clinch River several years ago.

You can google lucro, clinch river, tn and you'll pull up some articles on them.

Neal
LUCRO was very active in the rearing of trout at the TVA lab below Norris for release in the Clinch, they supported stream bank stabilization projects both on the river and the tributaries (many members put in many hours of sweat equity in the projects), they helped assist TWRA in their studies of the Clinch, they eld the fight to prevent fishing during the spawn on Clear Creek, nthey felt the river management should be based on science, etc

Yes they did and still do oppose the slot limits as the science showed the perceived problems with fish quality was do to higher than normal flows over the study period as well as excessive stocking particularly of fingerling sized fish and other things. TWRA never met with user groups as required (they held one public meetings to show their data and said at that meeting they would hold meetings with all interested groups if they felt the regs should change), they are also on record as stating and their data supports they can control what is taken out/caught by how they stock. LUCRO was in favor of a fly fishing area only below the dam, adding a couple of handicap access pts, along the river, etc

LUCRO is not the villain that some want to portray them as
Old 01-16-2012, 11:17 AM

Quote:
They are also working on the new Trout Camp to be held at the Great Smoky Mountains Institute at Tremont.
The Trout Camp is a program that involves all nine Tennessee chapters and the state TU council. It consists of several volunteers who work with the kids for a few days in June. There is a full program ranging from snorkeling in the Middle Prong to flytying, stream ecology, and fishing. Last year, we fished Sam's Creek for brookies. Had a great day.
For info in the camp, click on the link:
http://www.hiwassee.net/currenthctunewsletter.pdf
For some reason, it won't make a link- cut and past.
Old 01-16-2012, 12:47 PM

Anyone interested in visiting a TU chapter can find information at the following:
http://www.tctu.org/contacts.htm
Again, not making a link- cut and paste.
Visit a chapter or two or three and ask questions about their projects, activity, etc.