Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 01-23-2012, 08:15 PM

Well

I almost exclusively fish an Orvis Trident 2 weight that is 8'6" when I trout fish and I'm a Tailwater guy from Maine who fishes it here on big water. It is a tip flex and works well in close but has the nut to bomb out line as well. I can often line big fish while casting upstream and they don't mind the very light line splash from a 2 weight compared to a 5 or 6.... it's also more fun unless it's windy or I want to throw larger stuff like streamers.

Medium action rods load better for many casters making very short casts..... regardless of rod length. Many people find the stiffer rods have less "accuracy" in close quarters.

Good Luck
Old 01-23-2012, 10:55 PM

Rog 1 and Troutman....... thanks a bunch guys, I'll make sure to check your suggestions out.

Corbo..... I'm used to taking the 5wt and shooting the fly under the rhodo, but more often than not, it smacks the water pretty hard. Want a 2wt in hopes of not spooking the fish so bad, plus the 5wt sends those little specks flying when I get too excited. I'm sure the 2wt will be a lot more fun when playing those little guys. We'll see.
Old 01-24-2012, 10:38 AM

Knik...don't know what your budget is but a friend of mine fishes an LLBean 3wt on the brookie waters and likes it...a whole outfit sells for $160...closer to home check out LRO selection of Temple Fork rods ....there are any number of 2-3wt rods available and they come with a great warranty.
Old 01-24-2012, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rog 1 View Post
check out LRO selection of Temple Fork rods ....there are any number of 2-3wt rods available and they come with a great warranty.
^^
What he said... find yourself a 7'6" 3wt. pro with some 4wt. SA trout and call it a day. A very good versatile little rod for the park's smaller streams. I personally would not go any shorter but YMMV... For a little more coin, the finesse 7'9" 3wt. or 4wt. I use my 7'9" 5wt. finesse in the park quite a lot and while it may seem a little "overkill" it is still fun even on the smaller fish. I certainly was thankful for its backbone when I landed a 23" brown that I was not expecting...

Tight Lines,
Old 01-24-2012, 10:50 PM

yep.... the finesse is on my list to look at, all searches have been positive on the finesse series. Sounds like a nice rod.

tnflyfisher..... congrats on the brown! I had one on over 20 and he shook loose 3' from the net.

I went from
to..
to..
and back to ....... in a matter of seconds. What a roller coaster, I'll never forget it.
Old 01-25-2012, 06:22 AM

I use the finesse 7'3" two weight and a BVK 8' three weight in the park and other local streams around Boone. The 2 weight roll casts "like a dream!" I fish alot of smaller "creeks" and the finesse series has a softer feel, compared to the pro and BVK series, which suits my style of fishing. My son uses the pro 7'6" three weight and loves it. I have also used the warranty twice due to my own stupidity. 25 bucks and shipping costs. Return time was 5 days for the first rod, and 10 days for the second. TFO works for me. Just my 2 cents........
Old 01-25-2012, 12:07 PM

I bought a StCroix 7' 3wt 4 piece Imperial from LRO and it is a great rod that is very inexpensive.The creeks I fish don't have trails alongside them and I like the shorter rods since they are easier to thread through the brush to get around obstacles like waterfalls and pools too deep to wade up through.

I had thought about a 2wt but since I like fishing dry flies and there always seems to be a little wind on the steep creeks I like that the 3wt would be more efficient.

The St Croix has really made my Winston IM6 7.5' 3wt jealous since fish it less now,and not just because the St Croix is a 4 piece rod and the Winston is a 2 piece.I really love the elegant nickle silver sliding band and birdseye maple reel seat on the Winston and the beautiful deep green finish of the rod,but the St Croix fishes just as well and the top notch warranty is reassuring when you fish well off the beaten path.It would put a dent in my soul if I broke that RL Winston.
Old 01-25-2012, 12:13 PM

Yonder, I've wondered how the BVK 3wt would be for bluegills and such. I have been thinking about getting a faster action (faster than my fiberglass) for river fishing from a canoe or jon boat. Longer cast and mending are usually needed along with dealing with the wind. I'm currently using an 8'6" 4wt st. croix legend ultra, but it often seems overkill for the fish. I love the ultralights.
Old 01-25-2012, 04:07 PM

Troutman, a BVK 3 weight would be a great choice. I use mine for smoky mountain trout, farm pond bluegills, and new river smallmouth. It is a fast rod and works very well in the wind. A quality fly line is also very important in bringing out the performance of any rod. Cast one at LRO and see what you think. There are alot of quality rods out there, so be sure to try a few different brands, weights, and lengths. Good luck on the rivers.........
Old 01-25-2012, 04:42 PM

Troutman.......I just read an old post from 2008, where you posted a picture of a beautiful bamboo rod. All the graphite in the world doesn't hold a candle to a single bamboo fly rod...........just my 2 cents of course..........