Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > General Fly Tying

Old 01-22-2012, 12:25 PM

Lightbulb Midge - Emerger Pattern [Instructional]

This is one of my favorite emerger patterns and it works great for midge variations and even for sulphur emergers by changing the material to pheasant tail.

Midge - Emerger Pattern [Instructional Video]: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xgtPhBQahM

Midge - Emerger Pattern [Image]

to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 01-23-2012, 12:46 PM

Okay; so the "sound" went out on my computer AGAIN so I don't know what size/stle hook you are using but I really like this fly ALOT!

My bet is that it rides hard into the film.... the catch zone for difficult trout.... and the foam keeps it aloft enough to see the fly when they suck it under?

What color is this "ice" stuff? I haven't any dubbing called "ice" and will need to look into getting some.... what critter do you get it from?

Believe it or not I still have pieces of "muskrat & possum dubbing" from when I was 10 years old! In that day you needed to have a chunk of skin to cut a bit of hair from at which point you decided whether you wanted all the hair, the guard hair of just the under fur for dubbing! When it started comming in bags I was very happy!
Old 01-25-2012, 04:10 PM

Corbo, Ice dub, is a relativity new synthetic dubbing product with really nice flash. They sell it at our local fly shops. I believe he is using the brown ice dub (color changes when wet)

The hook that Shawn is using appears to be a Dai-Riki 125 scud/emerger hook size 18 (maybe 16). I may be wrong about the brand of hook, but those are the cheapest in our local fly shop, and if Shawn goes through flies like me, that is my go-to brand. I have gotten to where I will use the 135's over the 125's though, but if they are Dai-Riki it is the 125 ( 125 are gold, and 135 are more silver)
Old 01-25-2012, 06:55 PM

OMG!

Troutmanbrook!!! Aren't you the young fellow I met last summer behind the church one afternoon who recently became ADDICTED to fly fishing?

And look at you now... tying flies and know hook sizes and all! I'm very pleased you are doing so well. Call me some time 255-4840

Only fished the Clinch once as I never seem to figure the flows; hopefully get over there many times this year.... you guys that live close-bye have it made as you can catch good water just before or just after a generation.... it's aride from Sevierville.

So I went to ORVIS (sorry LRO guys) as it's close to me and they had ice dub stuff but it came off a DISCO RABBIT meaning it was a blend with coarse bunny hair so I did not purchase it as the fibers appeared to large and coarse for such a small bug.

I will likely need to go to LRO for some.

ADVICE please.

So I got laid off on tuesday and cannot afford a bag of dubbing..... anyone looking to hire an extremely talented home builder remodeler shout out at me!
Old 01-26-2012, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutmanbrook View Post
Corbo, Ice dub, is a relativity new synthetic dubbing product with really nice flash. They sell it at our local fly shops. I believe he is using the brown ice dub (color changes when wet)

The hook that Shawn is using appears to be a Dai-Riki 125 scud/emerger hook size 18 (maybe 16). I may be wrong about the brand of hook, but those are the cheapest in our local fly shop, and if Shawn goes through flies like me, that is my go-to brand. I have gotten to where I will use the 135's over the 125's though, but if they are Dai-Riki it is the 125 ( 125 are gold, and 135 are more silver
)

Danny,
Excellent-you should be a detective bud. One correction, the ice dubbing I use is black. Also; I like the heavy hook and the bigger size (16) for allowing it to sit well in the film.

Old 01-26-2012, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbo View Post
OMG!

Troutmanbrook!!! Aren't you the young fellow I met last summer behind the church one afternoon who recently became ADDICTED to fly fishing?

And look at you now... tying flies and know hook sizes and all! I'm very pleased you are doing so well. Call me some time 255-4840

Only fished the Clinch once as I never seem to figure the flows; hopefully get over there many times this year.... you guys that live close-bye have it made as you can catch good water just before or just after a generation.... it's aride from Sevierville.

So I went to ORVIS (sorry LRO guys) as it's close to me and they had ice dub stuff but it came off a DISCO RABBIT meaning it was a blend with coarse bunny hair so I did not purchase it as the fibers appeared to large and coarse for such a small bug.

I will likely need to go to LRO for some.

ADVICE please.

So I got laid off on tuesday and cannot afford a bag of dubbing..... anyone looking to hire an extremely talented home builder remodeler shout out at me!
That's me! I have definitely been paying my dues since we last spoke. It seems that all I do now is read, tie flies,fish, and read. I am blessed with a job that allows me to keep up on the latest fly fishing blogs, and my tying skills (well maybe "allows" isn't the best word)

Check the flows @ http://www.tva.gov/lakes/noh_r.htm it is usually updated at 6pm daily. May starts the recreational release schedule, hopefully, you can download the calendar here. http://www.tva.gov/river/recreation/...hed_norris.pdf

Sounds like the disco rabbit stuff may be the Hare'E Ice Dub. You are right it does have many guard hairs included. I prefer to make my own custom blend of hares ear and ice dub (40 hares ear, and 60 icedub) for a really nice, toned down, flash. When I have used Hare'E Ice Dub in the past on small bugs, I will take a dubbing teaser (or velcro) and tease out the dubbing and trim to size, this makes the flies look extremely buggy.
Old 01-26-2012, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadisonBoats View Post

Danny,
Excellent-you should be a detective bud. One correction, the ice dubbing I use is black. Also; I like the heavy hook and the bigger size (16) for allowing it to sit well in the film.
I think the 125's are 2x short, and thats what threw me off on the size. in the video were you tying with dai-riki, or are you a Tiemco high roller? lately ive been looking in the bargain boat at Cal's.... it seems you have been beating me to all the good stuff
Old 01-27-2012, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutmanbrook View Post
I think the 125's are 2x short, and thats what threw me off on the size. in the video were you tying with dai-riki, or are you a Tiemco high roller? lately ive been looking in the bargain boat at Cal's.... it seems you have been beating me to all the good stuff
I think this one was a Tiemco-recycle hook. I use the Dai-Riki's for my bulk ties and I usually tint the gapes-barbs over a flame before tying. A little too much gold for most of my patterns. Cal is usually out of the size 18-16 hooks I like when I stop in.

I have some new micro-midge patterns that I think will do very well when the fish start to get finicky.