Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Closed Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 03:19 PM

Default Open information on this forum?

First of all I would like to say hello to everyone on here. It's been a good while since I last read this forum. I really do appreciate reading most of the great fishing reports and looking at the pictures on here. I will say the reason I quit reading this forum was because of the excessive information on highly sensitive speck streams being broadcast over the internet for millions to access. I have spoken to quite a few others who left for this same reason. Well, I decided to return and check out the board for the first time in a long while, and the first thing I read is about a very special river flowing into Cherokee, that is not named after a bird. There is actually people posting maps in detail on these streams. It gives me a really bad feeling when I read these type posts. I having been fishing the smokies all my life, and I found all these places from my grandpa and dad, or by reading a map and taking a gamble. Now all you have to do is Google it, or buy a book with detailed instructions to every stream. I have read Mr Cassada's book and I will say its a gem. As far as the creeks are concerned, I knew were they all were already, but now anyone with a few seconds to read a page will as well. I know that rivers like Little, Deep, Hazel, etc, are no secret, but I remember a few years ago when not many people knew in detail how to get to three forks. The last three times I went up there, I ran into fisherman. The past 25 years I never even thought about seeing that many people there. I will say that I have been posting on another popular local forum, that has a don't ask don't tell policy. I really do enjoy this site and wish that something would be done about all the open info sharing. There is no reason some of these posters can email each other info on the most sensitive speck streams. Sorry for my rant, but I was just disappointed upon returning to this forum.
Old 02-01-2012, 04:03 PM

It is unfortunate, and I share your opinions on the subject, but there isn't much that can be done. I named a stream several years ago and learned my lesson. That trip report now shows up if you google the streams name. To each his own I guess, but I can't help to be bothered when I hike 5 miles to find wet boot prints.
Old 02-01-2012, 04:44 PM

I think part of the reason it gets discussed out in the open here is because you can't pm other fisherman so there is no other choice and that is a fact. Short of posting email addresses online, which isn't advised since you will be picked up by spambots, there isn't any way to communicate privately. I understand from posts by Paula that private messaging was turned off due to abuses. I am really not sure why whoever was abusing it wasn't just banned from the forum instead of the privilege being removed for all of us but it very well could be a limitation of this particular forum software or something.

http://gosmokies.knoxnews.com/profil...=2hvzainc23h5b

Hey Jack (JAB)...

Last edited by Crockett; 02-01-2012 at 05:13 PM..
Old 02-01-2012, 04:44 PM

Unfortunately we're living in a age where lots of people (lots, but not all, mind you) are simply just too lazy to take time to bushwhack their way back into blue lines on a map and find out if a stream holds decent fishing or not. In the age of information, most folks will take the easy-out and depend upon someone else's scrapes and sweat to find the information they are wanting, instead of excerting any physical energy themselves. Sad, really, but let's face it...we're living in the Nintendo-age, where lots of our younger generation have carpel tunnel in their thumbs and no grit in their backbone.
I sure hope I am not coming across as a crabby geezer, but darned if I'm gonna post for the whole world to see, wild streams (many never even named on a map) that I found the old-fashioned way, then have them plummaged by someone too lazy to find it on their own.
I even quit posting any trip reports for the most part due to the fact that I might accidentally leave clues to where I was. If I do post a report (from a smaller, wild water...not talking about bigger waters everyone knows like the South Holston or the likes), I will edit any photo's and crop out anything that might even possibly give away the location. Call me paranoid, but once you've had a couple of your favorite small streams beat to death by a few others who found out, you'll understand why. I've even had someone ask me point blank where I was fishing on an open forum, for everyone worldwide to read!

I sure found out that if a guy spends time pouring over topos and then is willing to hike and sweat, then crawl thru rhodo and briars and arrive at a blue line and find wild trout that are willing participants with a fly rod, it makes one appreciate and takje care of the find 99% more than if my buddy told me where to go, or I found out by surfing the internet.
Just my $0.02....
Old 02-01-2012, 05:07 PM

Send a message via AIM to 2weightfavorite

So basically we are supposed to give fishing reports to tell of the fish we caught. Not where we caught them, or the secret fly we caught them on... So this is now a bragging forum only, but with no specifics. Im also not sure I understand the first post. So it is ok for an Author to write about every stream in the national park, but not ok to write about it on the web? I have said it before and I will say it again. There are no secrets in the park. No holes that someone else does not fish. These are not private waters. More and more people are "blue lining" for the same enjoyment you find in it, and therre will only be more in the years to come.
Old 02-01-2012, 05:08 PM

It's like this people...

The internet is here to stay so either ignore it or get over it. You really can't do anything about it and neither can anyone else. Has it changed the way we live? Most definitely!! Do you think the Govt. wants every extremist in the world looking up on the internet how to make IED's and so forth? This is just an unfortunate byproduct of the modern age that we live in...

Now, we are here to talk about flyfishing and that's what we are doing...
I have been reading this forum for a few years now before ever joining and have thoroughly enjoyed the whole experience and greatly appreciate the information that has been willingly provided by its members. I see it as part of the fishing culture and it leads to further enjoyment of the sport for everyone involved. If it wasn't for this information I probably wouldn't be fishing the park today and hundreds of trout would be on their fins praising the water Gods...

Point is, please don't come back after two years and start this again... not trying to be blunt but probably not the best way to say did you miss me??
Now, if you want to join the party and just enjoy the sport with others that do as well, then welcome back and sorry for the rant...

Tight Lines,
Old 02-01-2012, 05:43 PM

Tnflyfisher, by your response I will assume you are either one of those people that like to share every detail about every creek, or found them all on the web or a book. I guess I take pride in places like three forks, because my dad took me there as a little boy. I know that there are no secret streams in the smokies, but don't think for one second that spewing out details about the least traveled ones will not make a impact on them. You do know that poachers and any other hooligan out there can read this forum as well. Do you think they would have taken the time to study a map to find places like these that are mentioned on here. I have no problem sharing details about any creek on here as long as I leave out the names. If you want more info, just email me.
Old 02-01-2012, 06:21 PM

Did anyone else but me find it amusing that the guy who owns the forum that doesn't allow naming streams was himself participating in the thread on this site about accessing streams through the reservation. I guess if it doesn't bother him that some people do that over here maybe it shouldn't bother us so much.

Hey Jack (JAB)...
Old 02-01-2012, 06:36 PM

Crockett, did you read my post? Bunches Creek had been mentioned numerous times already before I ever even mentioned it. I only did that so some other fellow fisherman would not get in any trouble. Go look at all my posts going back to 07. You will not find me giving up details on how to get to remote speck streams. Most of the guys who frequented this forum back then have moved on because of the very problem I am bringing to light. I'm sorry if it offends some here, but sometimes things just need to not be discussed?.
Old 02-01-2012, 06:46 PM

The only map I saw published in that thread had Raven Fork in it. The map was showing how steep the gorge section was. In your post you seemed angry that a map was posted but the map doesn't really show any hidden stream that is why I am a bit confused. Also you were praising the other forum that keeps streams secret yet the owner of that forum was posting on the very thread you were referring to. I understand it was mentioned in the past but I thought it was safe to assume that recent thread is why you posted this.

Hey Jack (JAB)...
Closed Thread