Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 02-03-2012, 01:52 PM

Has anyone cast the Sage TCX? That claims to be the "extreme distance" stick according to Sage.

My Blog: Fly Fish East Tennessee
www.flyfisheasttennessee.blogspot.com

><>
Old 02-03-2012, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson10 View Post
Has anyone cast the Sage TCX? That claims to be the "extreme distance" stick according to Sage.
I thought it was awful. Nothing I hate more then a rod which is so fast that you have to up line it to make it load.

It might be great for some, but for me it is a non-starter. I bet it would break 6x faster then lightning as well.
Old 02-04-2012, 10:32 AM

More of the same.... I never did cast one but have always heard of it described as Sage's fastest, stiffest rod series they made. I could be wrong but I know that's not my cup of tea at all so never even laid my hands on one.

Tight Lines,
Old 02-05-2012, 10:39 AM

Here is a little chart/reference guide from Mr. Bob Clouser and the folks at Temple Fork Outfitters. No matter which rod you use, this should help you match up the rod/line size to the flies you will be throwing.

We must understand that a fly line is used to move weight forward to the end of the cast, whether it be a hook, small dry fly or a heavy weighted streamer or nymph.
Fly lines are measured in weight by grains and this grain weight is used to move weight forward. For example; a 5 weight fly line weighing 140 grains is not capable of pulling the same weight thru the cast as a 210 grain 8 weight does. There are many variables to consider while casting such as wide open loops, chuck and duck, over powering or lobbing.
This chart is designed upon the ease of the cast plus normal tight loops that will cut the wind with ease. An oval back cast along with the use of the body is a must when casting weighted flies.

We will start with a 5 weight fly line, anything under that is specially designed to cast small light flies and is not suited for any type of weighted fly.

Lead Eye Weights most suitable for these line weights.
Line Ounce of weight
5 weight = 1/120, 1/80, 1/50
6 weight = 1/120, 1/80, 1/50
7 weight = 1/120, 1/80, 1/50
8 weight = 1/120, 1,80, 1/50, 1/30
9 weight = 1/120, 1/80, 1/50, 1/30, 1/24
10 weight =1/120, 1/80, 1/50, 1/30, 1/24

The above listing of course is not written in stone but if the formula is followed, long easy casts can be made. In many instances a heavier eye weight than listed can be used but it will test the caster and the capability of the rod and line.

Note” The above suggestion for choosing the right weight a fly line can move forward with ease has it variations of course, most variations comes with the style of casting being used. The most proficient style developed by Lefty Kreh where the body is involved in the cast will make casting weight more efficient.
Bob Clouser

Old 02-07-2012, 10:59 AM

Thanks Randy;

No disrespect for BOB or Lefty BUT this data and line weight vs: "stated" rod weight and all the "standards" created by the tackle manufacturers were designed for the "average flyfisher".

Funny thing.... long before Lefty wrote the yellow book, Longer Fly Casting, my friends and me were already doing it in Maine to reach Stripers from the beach. The technique is valid but not really needed for trout fishing with a five weight unless you have no wading boots.

With an 8 or 9 weight I have throw enormous heavy & bulky streamers and admit it's a chore unless the rod has a lot of backbone but this doesn't mean it must be a fast tip action. Lefty's whole body casting stroke lends itself well to a full flex rod in many ways..... I've seen him "show off" and was willing to bet he too was underlining.

My personal observations are that too many rod makers (particularly Sage) underline their rods due to a perception that longer casts are what everyone wants!

I do most of my tailwater fishing with a 2 weight and I throw everything with it from big beads to streamers.... But then again I am the exception to the "rule". LOL but true.

Spose I'm more of a trout hunter; there is less line splash with the 2 weight so I can virtually "line" trout feeding directly up-stream at a very acute angle OR only put my leader over them.

How many of us get a decent drift at 70 feet much less respond well to the take of a dry at that distance?
Old 02-07-2012, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbo View Post

How many of us get a decent drift at 70 feet much less respond well to the take of a dry at that distance?
Virtually no one is getting good drifts or setting hooks consistently at 70 feet.

I usually fish at around 40-50 feet even though I am perfectly capable of casting 100 feet. I can say the same for most folks I fish with a many of the best fisherman around.
Old 02-08-2012, 02:07 PM

I really have to wonder as trout fishermen if we don't get carried away with the distance factor. I will admit I am guilty as the next man in this regard. After all it is a well known fact, though I can't prove it, the farther you cast the bigger the fish. In spite of all of this I think my best fishing is done within thirty feet.

I think rod makers have taken this too far. Most fly lines for the "new fast action rods" are half a size heavier.

Salt water fishing, Atlantic salmon, and some steelhead are probably all the exception but I really wonder if most of the time we would not be better off with a rod that fully loads closer and what we do under forty feet counts the most.