Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 02-09-2012, 12:18 AM

Oh, I noticed! just couldn't get away from work.

My Blog: Fly Fish East Tennessee
www.flyfisheasttennessee.blogspot.com

><>
Old 02-09-2012, 02:47 AM

The Elk rarely generates...but there are no fish there. I use generation time to do a little map recon. Try and look for small streams or rivers you don't normally fish and go do some warmwater fishing. It's a ton of fun.
Old 02-09-2012, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson10 View Post
Oh, I noticed! just couldn't get away from work.

Same here, I saw it Tuesday night when I got home from freaking NYC. Too much to do yesterday to get away. Bet it was interesting.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:44 AM

It was a decent day on the river. It started off slow in the area I was fishing. There was little sunlight and bug activity; plus the water was still slightly stained.

I seined the river and found size 18-20 bwos-baetis, and micro midges #24 during the early AM. In hindsight; I think I should have fished a few patterns on the bottom during this time frame. The fishing picked up immensely after the noon hour and I ended up with several decent browns.
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Last edited by MadisonBoats; 02-22-2012 at 09:28 AM..
Old 02-09-2012, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadisonBoats View Post

I seined the river and found size 18-20 bwos, baetis,
This is really interesting as just today I was talking with one of the TVA benthic folks who has been doing a study on the Clinch for the past 2 years. He has basically catalogued every species of mayfly, caddis, and stonefly he found and his last sampling was done sometime around Thanksgiving.

He found the usual sulphurs, black caddis, blackflies, little black stones, a few hex, couple of light cahill's, and a couple of Quill Gordon's. He said unlike the South Holston where he finds good numbers of BWO's he has not found any in the Clinch or it's tributaries.

Not saying you are wrong Madison, just interesting that he didn't find any with his exhaustive studying and you found some yesterday.

Were they adults or nymphs? I am sure they would love to have samples as well.
Old 02-10-2012, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterwolf View Post
This is really interesting as just today I was talking with one of the TVA benthic folks who has been doing a study on the Clinch for the past 2 years. He has basically catalogued every species of mayfly, caddis, and stonefly he found and his last sampling was done sometime around Thanksgiving.

He found the usual sulphurs, black caddis, blackflies, little black stones, a few hex, couple of light cahill's, and a couple of Quill Gordon's. He said unlike the South Holston where he finds good numbers of BWO's he has not found any in the Clinch or it's tributaries.

Not saying you are wrong Madison, just interesting that he didn't find any with his exhaustive studying and you found some yesterday.

You mentioning hexs on the Clinch, I seen a few of these last year, the seemed to be there early in the morning only. And the **** things were big! Now with having said that, do you think there's enough in the river to matter if not do you think we will ever see more of them?
Old 02-10-2012, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterwolf View Post

Jim, actually I collected several sample jars for the day and I will review my samples to be sure I identified them correctly. I am not an entomologist; so, I may have been wrong. I will try and post some pics of them later.

PS-There were many scuds and black fly nymphs as is normal.
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Last edited by MadisonBoats; 02-10-2012 at 09:09 AM.. Reason: added a few bugs...
Old 02-10-2012, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodonthefly View Post
You mentioning hexs on the Clinch, I seen a few of these last year, the seemed to be there early in the morning only. And the **** things were big! Now with having said that, do you think there's enough in the river to matter if not do you think we will ever see more of them?
I forgot about those Hexs we saw last year. Those things were really huge! I bet them stockers tremble when one of them things drifted over their heads.

My Blog: Fly Fish East Tennessee
www.flyfisheasttennessee.blogspot.com

><>
Old 02-10-2012, 02:42 PM

I have really never seen HEX (brown or green) on a river except directly below dams where the head pond had them. Up North the HEX harch in ponds starting late june through mid-july and they are enormous... like size 8.

What color & size were they?

Some rivers get really large ISO's
Old 02-10-2012, 11:22 PM

The Hexes ( intentional mispelling) have always been around on the Clinch, not in any great numbers but enough that I have seen more then one fish eat them.

I would call it an extremely sparse population, and I have seen them as the dark brown speckled spinners, and the big yellow freshly emerged adults.

Usually I have seen more of the big brown ones, and like Rod said early early in the morning in the fog. Usually late July and August. If you see one drift past you in the fog listen up and most times they get eaten before they get too far.

Madison, I would love to see what you collected, and it is possible they could show up anytime. It has always surprised me that there seems to be zero Baetis in the river. I personally have never seen them, but that doesn't mean that something doesn't exist.

I also forgot about a hatch we had for a few years in the late 90's that was some sort of mahogany dun looking mayfly. They were about a 16, maybe a 18 with slate gray wings and a redish brown body. We only saw them for a year or two, and only at 61 bridge. The hatch was super spotty and brief, but they were there for a short time. Haven't heard about any in a very long time however.