Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 02-11-2012, 12:15 PM

Default how deep is deep?

Not being very well versed in river fishing, I was wondering how deep is deep. I know that the impoundments I fish, deep may be 60 feet, but just how deep are the average pools one fishes in the park streams. Are most of the "pools" found iin lower elevations or are they just as prominent in the upper elevations? Just trying to gather a little more info so maybe my next trip might be a more productive one. Thanks for any and all info posted on this sight. flyguys
Old 02-11-2012, 12:55 PM

Being new to fly fishing and wading in the mountains, I found out very quickly that you don't wade into plunge pools, it's amazing how deep some of the holes are that you find on small high evevations streams. A lot of times I'll change flies or add weight just to try to fish a small hole well.
Tad
Old 02-11-2012, 02:13 PM

I've seen some pretty deep holes...never measured them but I sure wouldn't jump into one. I would say the deeper holes are around 10-12ft maybe?
Old 02-15-2012, 09:33 AM

I would think 5-6 foot deep are pretty common. I've stepped in a few of those by mistake. Then, like BRF said, you have the 10-12 foot deep holes that just look dark or even blue and you can't make out bottom real well.
I always think there must be some real pigs in those big holes, the one headed up East prong to Elkmont comes to mind first. I've fished it a few times but if the weather is decent there's almost always people swimming in it. I always imagine a 5 lb. Brown laying down there though, just slurping whatever comes down the river bend.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:42 AM

I usually find out through the slip and slide technique. I have found many pools deep enough to submerge my head. I usually let me brother lead the way and I follow his lead.
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 02-15-2012, 10:42 AM

Shawn, would I be correct in assuming your dear brother is a good head taller than you?
Old 02-15-2012, 10:52 AM

flyguys--Obviously depth will depend in considerable measure on the size of the stream. Bigger ones in the Park, such as Little River, lower Luftee, Big Creek, lower Abrams Creek, etc. will have the occasional pool over one's head. On the other hand, I can only think of a half dozen or so pools in all of Deep Creek which have depths of more than six or seven feet--Big Rock, the swimming hole just upstream from it, the Turnaround pool, the big hole in the bend of Bumgardner Bend, and the Hoye Hole come immediately to mind. Deep Creek isn't all that deep.
Once you get above 3,000 feet or so deep pools are quite rare, although the big pool at Three Forks (on Raven Fork)is quite deep.
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com
Old 02-15-2012, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFred View Post
Shawn, would I be correct in assuming your dear brother is a good head taller than you?
Actually, I am taller. I just let him find the slick/deep spots first.
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 02-15-2012, 02:27 PM

Wear a life jacket and football helmet and you'll be all set... knee & elbow pads are handy as well. If you can afford studs on your tires go for it.

Seems like the smaller the water the more likely I am to go over my waders for some reason... also more likely to bash myself all to **** on boulders and rocks.

Last edited by Corbo; 02-15-2012 at 02:28 PM.. Reason: spellig
Old 02-15-2012, 04:52 PM

Pretty sure the deepest holes down low are probably the Sinks on the Little River...there are some huge plunge pools on the middle section of the WPLP that are in the 10-12 range when the flows are normal...now I have stepped into some mud pockets right next to the creek bank that looked to be less than a foot deep and ended up to my chest....best never to assume anything when it comes to walking the streams up there.