Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 02-10-2012, 11:57 PM

Default Sure fooled me

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRaiderFan View Post
The Elk rarely generates...but there are no fish there. I use generation time to do a little map recon. Try and look for small streams or rivers you don't normally fish and go do some warmwater fishing. It's a ton of fun.
I live on the bank of the Elk, been a much wetter than normal winter, TVA has run water around the clock and on quite a few weeks.

I hear people complain about the generation, these MAN MADE trout rivers we have are from storage reservoirs.

http://www.tva.com/river/lakeinfo/op...s/timsford.htm
Old 02-11-2012, 09:25 AM

I saw some mahagony duns at Nance's last year so I tied some just in case.

Hex usually live in ponds; maybe there are some small ponds near the spot on the Clinch where you see them?

Kudo's to Shawn for all his nymph work; identifying them is tedious.... so much to look at on the nymph that needs to be compared to the book sata ub order to confirm one may fly from another.

Historical Bug Question:

I wonder.... before the COLD water days (meaning tailwaters) did the Clinch, SoHo and other places have the hatches they do now?
Old 02-11-2012, 10:02 AM

Corbo,
The bugs are posted on my FB page for you guys to reference. Also; there are some videos on my YouTube Page of nymphs underwater and hatches. I still need to go through my 2 TB video drive and post some more clips.

I did not collect any of the early AM flies; but, troutmanbrook can verify what we were seining...
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 02-11-2012, 11:52 AM

Hexes will live anywhere there is silt and sand. I've seen hexes up from the lake on the lower Clinch in july I think. Don't quote me on the month. Where I'm from in Loudon we had awesome hatches of "Willow Flies " either in late June or into July. Wasn't until much later I learned they were Hexagena Limbata. An un-weighted size 8 3xl tellico or haresear works great.
Lynn
Old 02-11-2012, 06:50 PM

No Hackle, I have been in willow fly hatches on the lower Hiwassee. With boat lights on at night, it looked like going through a blizzard. Literally, millions of them. Always wondered what they were.
Old 02-11-2012, 11:10 PM

Hexes live in marl and clay primarily which is very prevelant in all waterways. Most of the reservoirs on the TN river are loaded, and I can only assume the few on the CLinch just randomly ended up there over the years.
Old 02-12-2012, 11:14 AM

I've seen a few small hex hatches on the French broad also in late evenings. Those willow hatches down on watts bar and lower TN river are something spectacular though.
FB Hex

Old 02-12-2012, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troutman View Post
I've seen a few small hex hatches on the French broad also in late evenings. Those willow hatches down on watts bar and lower TN river are something spectacular though.
FB Hex

The adults like above are quite impressive, I have only seen a handful of those on the Clinch, more of the brown spinners is what I have seen over the years.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:37 AM

Watts Bar/Willow fly boogy!

Old 02-15-2012, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat Fly n View Post
Watts Bar/Willow fly boogy!

Rob tries hard to imitate me in that last picture, but can't quite get the same resemblance.

Got your text and forgot to respond, my apologies. I put that wig on so no one would recognize me.