Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 02-17-2012, 09:13 AM

Default S. Holston [Report] 2/16/12

I was able to get up to the S. Holston yesterday morning for a few hours and to fish on my birthday. It was raining pretty hard for most of the morning. However; the fishing was spectacular and they were very actively feeding.

I quit counting at 30 as it was starting to task me. This river is amazing! Fish rising all around you the whole time.

There was sporadic hatches of BWO adults and most never made it off the water. Dry fly and emerger BWOs worked very well. Really, I think you could throw about any pattern on this river and do well. Except for brassies; I have never caught anything there with those flies.

However; I took most of my fish on my BWO/Black Fly Pattern I posted a few weeks ago. One variation; I did not weight it with lead or metal bead. I used a gunmetal glass bead to keep it light and to allow it to float high. Most of you that fish the S.Holston ripples know why and it helps keep the fly in the fish's snell window.

I did notice some odd observations in contrast to previous trips.
-I caught about 35% rainbow trout. That is more than my previous trips.
-Most of the trout I landed were smaller than my previous trips (12" or less).
-I did not land anything larger than (12"-13") inches.

*I also noticed several brown trout feeding on smaller fish and carrying them in their mouths. Here is a video of one of them:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gf1DlzgOATM

Great river and great morning on the river!
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Last edited by MadisonBoats; 02-17-2012 at 09:49 AM..
Old 02-17-2012, 10:46 AM

Shawn, by feeding on smaller fish, do you mean smaller trout or is there a shad kill going on?
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 02-17-2012, 10:51 AM

Good video! Big browns will eat their smaller relatives and cousins. I was helping stock browns on the Hiwassee several years ago. The guide I was with (furnishing the raft and oar-time) saw a large brown break the surface, chasing one of the stockers we had just put into the river.
FWIW, I recall reading in Sports Afield (when it was printed on animal hides and papyrus) about guys who would fish at night (where permitted) with big deer hair mouse patterns and catch huge browns.
Old 02-17-2012, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Knapp View Post
Shawn, by feeding on smaller fish, do you mean smaller trout or is there a shad kill going on?
David,
It looked like they were taking small brown and rainbows from the prey's coloration. About half-way through the video was the point were I could see that he was busy chomping on his catch and trying to get it down. I wished I had one of the new HD 2 so I could get better resolution or maybe enhance the video. I did not see any evidence of a shad kill. I first thought he had a plug caught in his mouth until I watched the movement. I got within a few feet of most of these fish. I saw evidence of this behavior is several different locations. So; I did throw a few streamers.

Old 02-17-2012, 04:13 PM

Shawn-

Thanks for the video. Unfortunately, it was very hard to view what was going on. Did you have a circular polarizing filter on the lens? If you're not familiar with CPL's they are great tools for shooting outdoors as they enhance colors, but they also reduce or eliminate reflections off of glass, water, or any reflective surfaces. Just a thought.

Bill
Old 02-18-2012, 12:04 AM

Shawn;

The fish in the video looked to be pretty good size, those you caught were fairly small.... so I wonder what might have happened if you threw a streamer?

Seems all the drifters claim the big ones are caught on streamers.... like most folks I find it hard not to fish dries when the fish are taking them.

Next time I head up there I may fish a five weight instead of my "normal" 2 weight so I can more easily chuck some big stuff to catch some big stuff.

****ed do I wish I lived in Bristol sometimes!
Old 02-18-2012, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckytroutbum View Post
Shawn-

Thanks for the video. Unfortunately, it was very hard to view what was going on. Did you have a circular polarizing filter on the lens? If you're not familiar with CPL's they are great tools for shooting outdoors as they enhance colors, but they also reduce or eliminate reflections off of glass, water, or any reflective surfaces. Just a thought.

Bill
Bill,
Sorry for the quality. I wish I had a better setup. I plan on getting an HD in the future. Look closely in the top center of the video and you can see the trout holding the fish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbo View Post
Shawn;

The fish in the video looked to be pretty good size, those you caught were fairly small.... so I wonder what might have happened if you threw a streamer?

Seems all the drifters claim the big ones are caught on streamers.... like most folks I find it hard not to fish dries when the fish are taking them.

Next time I head up there I may fish a five weight instead of my "normal" 2 weight so I can more easily chuck some big stuff to catch some big stuff.

****ed do I wish I lived in Bristol sometimes!
Corbo,
The Soho has many shallow/riffled runs so I fish it light and active. Many of the feeding lies are tucked in tight between short runs. Streamers were very effectively on it. I do not think you have to throw big and heavy here to get takes. Just flashy. However; I can assume big and heavy would be great on higher flows there...

I loved throwing the dries Thursday. It was great and the rain worked perfectly at masking any flaws. Dry flies are my favorite and I wished I would have tied up more patterns for this trip.

Old 02-18-2012, 01:44 PM

Thats my kind of trout,One that likes groceries! Great video.
Lynn
Old 02-19-2012, 12:14 AM

Shawn,

Last time I was up at the SoHo, last Father's Day weekend, I saw a large brown swim past me with a bow in its mouth as well. I tried to get my camera out, but it was already gone. I don't know about you, but I got a weird feeling when I saw that in person. Just the fact that those browns eat rainbows that large. The one I saw was probably a 22 - 24" brown with an 8 or 9" bow.

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler
Old 02-19-2012, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemEAngler View Post
Shawn,

Last time I was up at the SoHo, last Father's Day weekend, I saw a large brown swim past me with a bow in its mouth as well. I tried to get my camera out, but it was already gone. I don't know about you, but I got a weird feeling when I saw that in person. Just the fact that those browns eat rainbows that large. The one I saw was probably a 22 - 24" brown with an 8 or 9" bow.
Travis,
Actually, it did kind of weird me out at first! Then, I kept noticing a few more. I guess the good thing is that there will be some big browns lurking in that river for some time to come. I think I should have worked some of the deeper holes with streamers a little more and I probably would have landed some bigger fish. However; I was having too much fun with dries in the shallow runs.