Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 02-21-2012, 08:19 AM

CuriousLayman,I`m sorry for butting in on your fishing report.Forgive me for being so rude.That is a nice trout you caught.I have fished that area several times and have never caught a brook trout there.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:35 AM

Nice fish. I may be wrong, but that looks like a wild brook to me, parr marks and all. There are natives found in some of the Oconaluftee's feeders on upstream. I have caught quite a few above Kephardt, which would actually be Beech Flats at that point.

Regardless, those stocked fish do run pretty far some times. I have caught a few in wild Pisgah waters 5 or miles from any stocked water.

Now I am itching to get up there. I still have a score to settle with the monster brown I hooked in October 2010. After a 5 minute fight, he broke the hook off my nymph. I got a few good looks at him, he was a buttery golden football shaped creature.

Last edited by ifish4wildtrout; 02-21-2012 at 08:57 AM..
Old 02-21-2012, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp View Post
Where does the park boundary begin?...
I believe this agrees with Jim's description. Streams outlined in red are Enterprise Waters.
For more info: Fish & Game Management Enterprise of the Eastern Band of the Cherokee Nation • P.O. Box 302 • Cherokee, NC 28719 • 828-497-1786 or 1-800-438-1601

JF

Last edited by JoeFred; 02-21-2012 at 08:50 PM..
Old 02-21-2012, 09:54 AM

Swamp - no problem at all. I actually had the same question you did. I knew that it was tribal water, but I had never heard the explanation.
Old 02-21-2012, 01:30 PM

I walked a short ways downstream of the visitors center last year to fish. I was well above the confluence with Raven Fork but noticed signs there right on the Oconoluftee that fishing there without a tribal permit would be in violation. Jim do you know how far up the Oconoluftee the tribe controls?

http://gosmokies.knoxnews.com/profil...=2hvzainc23h5b

Hey Jack (JAB)...
Old 02-21-2012, 03:30 PM

Adam--They control Luftee up to the point where it and Raven Fork meet (never mind that the Park boundary starts hundreds of yards downstream). Go figure!
Jim Casada
Old 02-21-2012, 03:48 PM

Jim the signs I saw were on the Oconoluftee above the confluence. I was confused and even hiked on down to the confluence so I was in the right place. The signs start behind the far back side of the mountain farm museum area. It looks like they start a few hundred yards up the Oconoluftee from the confluence.

http://gosmokies.knoxnews.com/profil...=2hvzainc23h5b

Hey Jack (JAB)...
Old 02-21-2012, 07:33 PM

Adam, was this prior to, during or after completion of the new construction work?
Old 02-21-2012, 08:16 PM

Adam--You have me totally confused when you suggest the signs are above the confluence. If so, this has happened since this summer and would mean that the section of Luftee which has the Visitor Center on one side and Park housing on the otgher side was controlled by the tribe. I don't think this is the case and if it is, it's an outrage. I'm almost positive the situation is as I state--Luftee from the Park line up to the confluence of Raven Fork is now tribal water. Above that Luftee is Park water and Raven Fork (for many miles until the next Park boundary at the lower end of the "Gorges," is tribal water. I checked the tribal web site and it isn't a bit of help because they talk about water upstream from where the Parkway crosses Raven Fork. Only problem is, it doesn't cross Raven Fork. That stream "loses" its name when it joins Luftee a few hundred yards above the bridge. It's enough to make one wonder whether either tribal leaders or Park officials know the geography of their own backyard. In the case of the latter, I'm afraid that the answer is all too often "no." I've asked questions at visitors centers at both Luftee and Sugarlands numerous times, and not just of volunteers but of Park employees, and seldom do they know the answers. Mind you, I guess you could call me a smarty pants for asking questions for which I know the answer, but if they are dealing with the public they should know.
Examples? Where are there graveyards near Luftee Visitor Center? There are a whole bunch of them and last summer a collective brain trust of six Park folks knew of exactly one. How did Road Prong get its name? Answer was because it runs along Highway 441, which is, of course, incorrect. That's Walker Camp Prong. Where could I find information about fishing in the Park? (self-serving here because I wanted to see if they had my book on display). Answer, I'm not sure, but didn't we used to have some books on that and I believe we have a fishing regulations brochure. Maybe I'm asking too much but that seems to me to be pretty straightforward stuff.
When it comes to the backcountry, outside of Steve Moore and Matt, forget it. Today's rangers don't get into the backcountry.
Jim Casada
Old 02-21-2012, 09:04 PM

I expect we will learn that a well meaning volunteer placed the signs in the wrong place having less than a sufficient amount of training from the Park staff. My experience was the same as Jim's, but the nice volunteers asked for assistance from a very busy ranger who promptly produced a fishing regulations brochure. She then went back to assisting other volunteers desparately needing help clearing an elk jam. Seems, as she said with a smile, "a particular bull has taken to showing up at other than the agreed upon time of the day."

This brochure I got at the 2009 WNC Fly Fishing Expo from a nice young Native American minding the Cherokee Fish & Game Management booth.