Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Old 08-22-2011, 08:29 PM

Default Cancun Outfitter

My brother is going to Cancun next month and was looking for a good fly fishing guide. Anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks
Tad
Old 08-23-2011, 10:45 AM

I went with http://www.cesiak.org/contactus.htm in December, 2010. I was (and am) still a newby and had never casted such a heavy line but the guide was very patient. Even snapped a Sage rod in half 30 minutes in to the day!

We fished in a huge salt water bay in the Sian Kaan bio-reserve near Tulum. We saw lots of bonefish but I could not cast longer than 15-20' and you need to be able to get it out at least 40-50' to reach them. The guide saw where the day was headed and took us to a spot with some other less spooky fish so we didn't get totally skunked.

Seems like the price was around $400-500 for 2 people. We actually had 3 (me, brother and wife). Had planned to fish 2 at a time till genius here broke our second rod.

They provided drinks and lunch but I'd recommend bringing your own snacks. Call me crazy, but a mexican ham sandwich sitting in the hot sun for 4+ hours wasn't the best idea. May be a bit of a drive from Cancun but I would recommend a night in Tulum - very cool little town.

I'd go back, once I can cast a bit better!
Old 02-27-2012, 11:43 AM

I went with these guys as did some frineds from Charleston before me. Boated a good number of juvy tarpon, guide was really good, they are right in the tourist hotel section of town and you are fishing within 10 minutes from launch (if you fish the lagoon for its youthful tarpon). There are also permit in these waters. Ten weight is recommended for these poons. Most that I boated were 30-40 pounders and I jumped one near the entrance of the lagoon to the open ocean that guide said topped 100 lbs. Check em out especially if you don't have a lot of time to travel south down the coast or north to holbox

http://www.cancuntarponfishing.com/index.html

Barry Murphy
828-400-3335 (Cell)

www.projecthealingwaters.org
"Healing Those Who Serve"