Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 02-27-2012, 11:47 PM

This thread is pretty hilarious to be honest. I mentioned it earlier and will again since no one seems to understand what a true threat is to a resource.

A few fat tourists being driven up and down the river are a nuisance, and nothing more.

The real issue facing the FB is the tournaments being run on it numerous times each week. Since any of us who would be there would be fishing, the thing which should bother people is stuff that negatively impacts fishing. Not fretting over an aesthetic occurrence which may or may not happen, and could be rumor alone.

No wonder every TWRA meeting where regs are discussed finds the room void of fly fisherman, none care about the stuff which really matters.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:22 AM

Geez Jim, Its no wonder people keep leaving this forum. make a comment about how we don't like whats happening on the rivers and get lectured on how we dont understand the true issues. I wish I had the time to attend the meetings that twra and tva hold. My work hours prevent much of it ( health care)and I do enjoy my family time. I don't have a problem with general boaters on the rivers and lakes. I just hate to see another tourist attraction ruining another place I enjoy. I hope this is a rumor with the jet boats on the river. I have had a few problems with jet jons running close to me on the river but far less than idiots than are on the lake. I don't like tournaments and don't participate in any including the fly fishing ones. some people crave the competition, others like many on here just enjoy the fishing. I'm of the latter.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:24 AM

Here is a video of one of the jetboats in operation on the French Broad. This was obviously taken last summer. It seems it's not a rumor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7okk9MzZvs
Old 02-28-2012, 10:27 AM

I notice none of these folks are wearing life jackets.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troutman View Post
Geez Jim, Its no wonder people keep leaving this forum. make a comment about how we don't like whats happening on the rivers and get lectured on how we dont understand the true issues. I wish I had the time to attend the meetings that twra and tva hold. My work hours prevent much of it ( health care)and I do enjoy my family time. I don't have a problem with general boaters on the rivers and lakes. I just hate to see another tourist attraction ruining another place I enjoy. I hope this is a rumor with the jet boats on the river. I have had a few problems with jet jons running close to me on the river but far less than idiots than are on the lake. I don't like tournaments and don't participate in any including the fly fishing ones. some people crave the competition, others like many on here just enjoy the fishing. I'm of the latter.
Troutman, there is a psychological condition for everyone. Some people are hard to classify and some wear it blatantly.

I personally think the biggest threat to our resources in pollution, lack of long-term development planning, and basic ignorance.
YTB http://www.youtube.com/user/MadisonBoats?feature=mhee
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 02-28-2012, 05:53 PM

What Gary said. Well put. Alot of the same people are the ones who have an opinion on everything and it's never positive. The watershed already has enough pressure. When does it stop and when it does,to what extent will it effect "us" flyfisherman.
Lynn
Old 02-28-2012, 06:21 PM

Perhaps a name change from French Broad to DOLLYRIVER.

I would say the operator in the video was irresponsible and reckless.... the fun & games will be over when someone gets hurt or killed.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troutman View Post
**** Gary, just trying to make the point that there are serious issues facing many of our rivers, and Madison usually is quick to point those out. Pollution being a huge one he usually discusses, and rightly so.

I also work in health care, and also am busy just like the majority of folks in this country. However, it is all about taking the time to let your voice be heard. Griping about things on a forum won't change anything, but sending letters, sending emails, making phone calls, and reaching out to the local commissioners or elected officials can have a major impact. Every person has the time to send a letter or make a phone call.

I hate the thought of another tourist attraction as well, but when dealing with these resources you have to rank the threats by which ones could have the most serious impacts to the resource, and which are the most imminent threats.

My point is that sure a bunch of tourists buzzing up and down the river sucks, and sucks bad, but it isn't the end of the world. And it certainly won't destroy the fishery. The things which should make fisherman sit up and pay attention, get no discussion and when someone brings it up, everyone gets their panties in a wad.

So what threatens the future of the fishery on the French Broad? Over fishing, check. Pollution from numerous sources in Sevierville, check. Jet boats running the river, not so much IMO. If the first 2 are removed then focus on the tourist issue is all I am saying.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:19 AM

Send a message via AIM to 2weightfavorite

I personally do not think that the jet boats will have any adverse affect on the fishing in the French Broad. Will they noisy and an eye soar, well yes, but what affect can they have on the fish? We also must keep in mind we are talking about a relatively small stretch of river when compared to leangth of the river overall. Everyone wants to bash the tourists, but touists feed my, and a thousand other peoples families. Tourists keep hotels, resteraunts, gas stations, and a million other bussines' busy, not to mention Little River Outfitters. No tourists, no LRO. As for whoever said "all the good holes" in Greenbriar were taken by swimmers and dog fetchers, I have a hard time believeing that. Sure the bottom 4 big holes, which are less than 800 yards into the park, are known swimming holes and popular with locals and tourists in the summer. Heaven forbid you have to drive 2 more miles up the road to fish. 600,000 acres, 1000 miles of stream, there is room for everyone.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterwolf View Post
**** Gary, just trying to make the point that there are serious issues facing many of our rivers, and Madison usually is quick to point those out. Pollution being a huge one he usually discusses, and rightly so.

I also work in health care, and also am busy just like the majority of folks in this country. However, it is all about taking the time to let your voice be heard. Griping about things on a forum won't change anything, but sending letters, sending emails, making phone calls, and reaching out to the local commissioners or elected officials can have a major impact. Every person has the time to send a letter or make a phone call.

I hate the thought of another tourist attraction as well, but when dealing with these resources you have to rank the threats by which ones could have the most serious impacts to the resource, and which are the most imminent threats.

My point is that sure a bunch of tourists buzzing up and down the river sucks, and sucks bad, but it isn't the end of the world. And it certainly won't destroy the fishery. The things which should make fisherman sit up and pay attention, get no discussion and when someone brings it up, everyone gets their panties in a wad.

So what threatens the future of the fishery on the French Broad? Over fishing, check. Pollution from numerous sources in Sevierville, check. Jet boats running the river, not so much IMO. If the first 2 are removed then focus on the tourist issue is all I am saying.
I agree with this idea. Also; I think it is good to discuss and debate topics in an honorable way. There have been many good posts on this forum that have educated me and helped me change my stance or make a better educated stance on a topic. We just have to remember we all share the passion for fly fishing and we are more effective as a group than as an individual.
YTB http://www.youtube.com/user/MadisonBoats?feature=mhee
to choose, to respond, to change.”