Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 02-17-2012, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFred View Post
Thanks, Bill & Jim.

Jim, good catch on where I had wrongly positioned the label for the Oconaluftee, which has been fixed. After thinking about the welfare of the two smaller streams mentioned, I deleted the labels for them. Those remaining labeled streams on the latest version of the map image are the very same ones "named" on the "souvenir" NPS Park map. My map image is intended for general orientation and not intended to provide detail access information on this message board, something that has been frowned upon by some. I get that. I am trying to contribute to the forum and attract new, disciplined anglers to our Park. I strive to be sensitive to the waters, banks, trails, etc. that could be be abused if improperly promoted. I am also trying to not adversely affect the livelihood of guides, writers, etc., the vast majority of whom seem to share those same objectives.
Really cool maps! Thank you for leaving out some of the more sensitive streams. I got in to a pissing match on here a few weeks ago about this subject, and I stand by my beliefs on spewing info on the web. I will try to place a order here soon and get my hands on a few of these maps.
Old 02-18-2012, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WNCFLY View Post
Really cool maps! I will try to place a order...
Thanks, man, but for a starter & much less expensive fishing map plus way lots more, I recommend Great Smoky Mountains National Park Fishing Map & Fishing Guide by Ian & Charity Rutter of R&R Fly Fishing. It is pretty awesome I must say. It was under $10 when I bought mine in '09.

Last edited by JoeFred; 02-28-2012 at 03:05 PM..
Old 02-28-2012, 03:01 PM

I contacted Ian and he now has their Great Smoky Mountains National Park Fishing Map & Guide back on the R&R Fly Fishing online store. They also carry them around to speaking dates and shows like Troutfest.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:20 PM

I really like both of Ian's books & highly recommend them but they are not really navigational maps so to speak.

What I most enjoyed was reading about streams I will likely never get to fish and his accounts from fishing them; well done and appreciated enormously.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:13 PM

I have Ian's book "Great Smoky Mountains National Pak Angler's Companion," but just be clear, the publication I am referring to above is a folding 18" x 24" map on one side and a guide on the other (species description, hatches, popular fly patterns, etc.). The map identifies nearly 40 streams and includes icons for the game fish species they hold. It is printed on water resistant paper so one can both sleep and swim with it.