Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 02-29-2012, 12:09 PM

Default Midges on South Holston

I made it to Tenn. last week but only managed to fish one day on the South Holston. It was a solid rain when I started and everyone pretty much cleared out at this time. The fish started to rise and were feeding heavy on what I thought were midges. Possibly emergers. I tried everything I have and I have a pretty good selection of stuff. I fished about 2 1/2 hours and managed to land five fish. Four browns and one rainbow and all were caught on a sulphor dry. I just could not get onto what they were feeding. I tried small stuff down to size 26 on the surface in the film and down deeper. The only bug I saw was about a size 18 BWO came flying by but none were on the water. It did appear to be some really small black flies around here and there but what I thought was a good match did not work. Any ideas on what would have worked? I thought some of you may have faced this before there. Thanks.

Gary
Old 02-29-2012, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trico View Post
I made it to Tenn. last week but only managed to fish one day on the South Holston. It was a solid rain when I started and everyone pretty much cleared out at this time. The fish started to rise and were feeding heavy on what I thought were midges. Possibly emergers. I tried everything I have and I have a pretty good selection of stuff. I fished about 2 1/2 hours and managed to land five fish. Four browns and one rainbow and all were caught on a sulphor dry. I just could not get onto what they were feeding. I tried small stuff down to size 26 on the surface in the film and down deeper. The only bug I saw was about a size 18 BWO came flying by but none were on the water. It did appear to be some really small black flies around here and there but what I thought was a good match did not work. Any ideas on what would have worked? I thought some of you may have faced this before there. Thanks.

Gary
Swing soft hackle midges tied on a #20 TMC 2488

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler
Old 02-29-2012, 03:08 PM

Those were probley black flies. I usually use a stripper midge in a 22 or a black biot midge in a 20-22. During this hatch they get as picky as they come. Your just dealing with so many real bugs,it's hard to show them something at the exact moment they want to eat. Keep @ it. The more you run your fly through the more fish see it and are likely to eat. Just don't get in such a hurry you ruin your drift. I Know this sounds contradictory but it's a kinda hurry up and wait game.
What size tippet were you using? how long was your tippet. What indicator were you using? All these come into play. It,s a great game.
Lynn
Old 02-29-2012, 05:30 PM

Thanks for your replies. I am going to try the soft hackles. I tried some traditional soft hackles but they were about size 14. I was using a 6X tippet tied to a 9 ft leader. I did not have any 7X but purchased some today. I thought maybe 6X was too large with the small flies.
Old 03-02-2012, 12:09 PM

Do try the 7X and for what it's worth I use a 17''ft leader. Do I think everone should use a 17''? No, but it works for me. I do think you need a little longer leader. See whats best for you. I feel I can use 6X with a longer leader. I use 5X during the sulpher hatch and very seldom Do i think I need 6X. The smaller flies are a different story.The longer leader means you dont have as much fly line on the water causing less drag. IMO. Again theres tons of bugs during a midge hatch. So keep @ it. Hope this helps some.
Lynn
Old 03-02-2012, 02:34 PM

Those pesky little black fly larva hatch events on the SoHo frustrate the heck out of me.... next time I'm up there I'll be asking Rod at the local shop exactly what HE uses when the fish key onto these micro sized bugs that seem to ride hard into the film... OR I'll throw streamers till it's over.

I have been "humbled" a few times up there; don't feel too bad.... I think they humble us all sooner or later.
Old 03-02-2012, 02:39 PM

This was the third time I fished the South Holston. I did notice the first time there the fish seemed a little shy with the larger indicators such as a thingabobber. I don't know if was the shadow or what but by using a large dry fly as an indicator it took care of the problem. I also have the opinion they can be leader shy. My leader was about 10 foot but I agree for finicky and spookey trout longer is better. Thanks to everyone for your input.

Gary