Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 03-07-2012, 09:41 AM

Default Anyone fishing today?

I plan on leaving work around 12, going to swing by the house and get my gear. I plan on being in the park between 1 and 2 this afternoon. Anyone want to join me, or better yeat anyone mind showing this tailwater guy a thing or two about park fishing? I know alittle but not alot.

Shot me a text if you want someone to fish with today, 865- 680-7982

Thanks
Rodney
Old 03-07-2012, 09:49 AM

Rod, I thought about heading up to the mountains as well. Send me a text when you get close to leaving to see if I can get free if you want...
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 03-07-2012, 11:07 AM

I am likely driving up from GA tomorrow to test my luck on the Little River. Never really done that well there, but usually I couldn't pick my time because I was playing tourist with the fam.

Figuring I can leave early morning from here, get to Townsend to pick up a few things at the shop, then head into the park. Hopefully my guess is that fishing will be better in the afternoon due to temperatures.

Going to try it Friday as well, though the weather looks very questionable then.
Old 03-07-2012, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by $3Bridge View Post
Going to try it Friday as well, though the weather looks very questionable then.
Definitely get up there if you can... the river is fishing great right now!

I don't know how it could be much worse than fishing this past weekend during a snow hatch...
Still brought in 14 and all on dries... it could not have been more than 40 degrees out with off and on snow flurries but man were they looking up. I lost just as many and more 8-12 inch rainbows than you could imagine. The fish are REALLY looking good so far! One run I had 5 in a row on almost consecutive casts. Definitely a surprise day considering the conditions...

Tight Lines,
Old 03-07-2012, 07:23 PM

I talked to two customers after closing time. They both had a fairly good day. One fellow from Hong Kong said he fished Abrams and caught 12 to 15. He obviously knew what he was doing. Another fellow said he fished the Middle Prong for a short while and caught a few on a Parachute Adams. I did not spend much time downstairs so there may have been others. I think the fishing is going to be excellent for a while thanks to the warmer water.

Byron
Old 03-07-2012, 08:31 PM

So I posted that from work this morning, I have been working my tail off here lately. With a lot on my mind this week, I needed some time to clear my head. The Clinch is blown out. I haven't fished much at all in the park. Just a trip or two a year max. When I got to work this morning, I asked my boss what all was on the table. We talked for a few before I mentioned I wouldn't mind taking half a day to clear my mind, he told me he understood to go ahead. I managed to make it until 11:30.

I had to run back home to grab my gear and let the dog out, I rolled into LRO shortly after 12:30, I talked to Daniel and got the skinny on what was going on. I proceeded to pay my dues by buying a dozen flys and some leaders. I spoke to Shawn and his brother, and off to the river I went. I got to where I wanted to fish, got rigged up and off I went. Having not been in the water not 10 minutes, I noticed these big flys coming off. What could it be? Quillgordons of course! I caught a 7 inche brown right off the bat. I worked my way on up the river, to run into a rain shower of quillgordons. The trout were going nuts over these things, I managed to catch a few average fish "8-10 inches". I kept seeing a really nice one rise ever some often. I softly said to my self " I'm going to catch his a$$ before I move". After four or five drifts over him I watch my quillgordon come to a stop and swiftly move up stream and go under. ( I forgot to add I was fishing a quillgordon wet fly behind my dry), anyhow I set the hook seen the flash and said oh boy it's on! After a short fight and a couple of runs, I landed a nice 16 inche brown. Which I think is my biggest fish to date in the park.
I ended the day with a couple more misses, a hook up which ended in a LDR. All and all one of my best days in the park! Fishing report has been spot on, and I only see it getting better!
What a great day to clear my mind, and do some soul searching! Get out there while it's on fire!
Tight lines y'all this tail water boy might just turn in to a rock hopper after all
Rodney
Old 03-07-2012, 08:34 PM

Oh forgot to add I will post pics later tonight or tomorrow
Old 03-07-2012, 08:52 PM

It sure is fun isn't it...

Now post a pic of that brown...

Tight Lines,
Old 03-07-2012, 08:54 PM

Rod,
Sorry to miss your calls. I had my phone in the backpack. I guess I am kind of like Byron in that my cellphone is somewhere and I could go without it...

We did well with parachute adams that I had tied up. I tied up some larger dries and the small fry would hit them on every drift and not get them under. It was kind of funny to watch.

We did lose several flies in the trees as we are not accustomed to high sticking.

It was a beautiful day to be outside and to be in God's Grace!
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 03-07-2012, 08:59 PM

I just have my iPad until my kid gets home with the laptop. Then to remember how to us photo bucket