Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 03-06-2012, 09:02 AM

Default News Flash!!!!!

Due to the help of TVA, pushing so much water , trout fishing is going to be awsome in Melton Hill lake. TVA is working hand and hand with TWRA to flush all the trout they can into Melton Hill to help feed the Muskie.

Man this is getting out of hand, I remember when I was kid it was rare that TVA spilled water. Maybe every 10 years? It seems this is becoming more and more frequent these days, who is in charge of river management? They are really sucking at doing their job
Old 03-06-2012, 01:03 PM

I know what you mean Rod! I guess it will be like this from know on due to their agreement with the dock owners to maintain a higher winter pool.

The ironic thing is that the river land owners are getting their docks washed away and much of their bank structures.
to choose, to respond, to change

Old 03-06-2012, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodonthefly View Post
TVA is working hand and hand with TWRA to flush all the trout they can into Melton Hill to help feed the Muskie.
are you saying that in jest because they're pushing so much water and a bunch of trout will end up in Melton Hill?
or do you literally mean they're working with TWRA to feed the muskie?
Old 03-06-2012, 07:48 PM

Folks:
Hereís a link: http://tva.gov/email/eRiver/2012/february.html scroll through and I think youíll get the ideaÖ.TVA doesnít want to open the spill gates or sluice, unless itís necessary. Do I believe everything TVA says? Nope. However I can believe this one, and hereís why. They donít make any money by spilling. I know theyíre a quasi-government entity, but if the water isnít going through the turbines, they donít generate power, which means they donít generate money. Given the wet winter weíve had (especially the Norris watershed), Iíll give TVA the benefit of the doubt this time. Iím in the same boat as yíall (no pun intended), I wish the water conditions would improve. I was planning to take the boat out this weekend and get my fiancť to oar, but the forecast isnít looking good.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tn hound View Post
are you saying that in jest because they're pushing so much water and a bunch of trout will end up in Melton Hill?
or do you literally mean they're working with TWRA to feed the muskie?
I was joking around.

TNJed,

I know they want to make the money, and they aren't making a dime by spilling, however I just wish they would manage better, they give a 10 day fortcast, why do they run one gen on weekdays then wait till it piss pours the rain and the tube fills up, to do something about it?
Old 03-06-2012, 08:11 PM

16,900 cfs is crazy
hopefully the fish that are left will have some big shoulders this spring
Old 03-06-2012, 08:16 PM

Rod:
I get what youíre saying. I see your point and I wish they would manage it better too. After looking at the Operating Guide for Norris, I find it strikingly close to last year. I donít think there are easy answers; Mother Nature has her way sometimes.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:35 PM

Gents:
I stand corrected. Iíll be honest and say I donít know that much about the history of the Clinch, but after reading Mike Boneís blog entry this morning, it was an eye opener. Hereís the link: http://www.theriverjournal.com/. Weíve had a wet winter this year, and last year as well. I figured that was the main culprit behind the spilling. Apparently, the target winter pool that TVA attempts to maintain has a larger role than I realized. In the past TVA maintained a winter pool of 980, now the mark is 1000 feet. Iím an engineer, so I can dig numbers. 20 feet multiplied by the surface area of Norris Lake is a huge volumeÖ..no wonder theyíre spilling more often. Anyway, take a look at Mikeís blog, he gives a much more detailed account and itís well worth a look.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Jed View Post
Gents:
I stand corrected. Iíll be honest and say I donít know that much about the history of the Clinch, but after reading Mike Boneís blog entry this morning, it was an eye opener. Hereís the link: http://www.theriverjournal.com/. Weíve had a wet winter this year, and last year as well. I figured that was the main culprit behind the spilling. Apparently, the target winter pool that TVA attempts to maintain has a larger role than I realized. In the past TVA maintained a winter pool of 980, now the mark is 1000 feet. Iím an engineer, so I can dig numbers. 20 feet multiplied by the surface area of Norris Lake is a huge volumeÖ..no wonder theyíre spilling more often. Anyway, take a look at Mikeís blog, he gives a much more detailed account and itís well worth a look.
Is that not what I said?
to choose, to respond, to change

Old 03-07-2012, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadisonBoats View Post
Is that not what I said?
Shawn:
Tip of the hat to you sir, you called it. Like I said, I'm an engineer, just needed a couple of numbers.